Dialogue 1
Mark: So, Jingjing, are you all set for the holiday to start?
馬克:那么,京晶,你做好迎接假期到來的準備了嗎?
Jingjing: I wouldn't mind if it had started already. But, on the other hand, I could do with an extra day or two before the break, to get my work done.
京晶:即使假期已經開始了,我都不介意。不過,假期開始前,我還得用一兩天時間把手頭工作忙完。
Mark: Take a deep breath, and let's get your mind off work for a few minutes.
馬克:深呼吸放松一下,把工作的事情忘記,我們先聊點兒別的。
Jingjing: Sure, why don't you tell me what you know about the Spring Festival?
京晶:好吧,那你先說說關于春節你了解多少?
Mark: Umm, I'm sure I know less than you do. It's the lunar new year. And the holiday spans fifteen days or so.
馬克:呃,我確信我了解的沒你多。春節就是中國的農歷新年。假期15天左右。
Jingjing: Can you describe some of the customs and traditions?
京晶:你能描述一些關于它的習俗和傳統嗎?
Mark: Well, there are temple fairs. Temples open up to the public, and sell food and small toys for kids. I always liked those little pin-wheels you could buy there.
馬克:嗯,有廟會。寺廟會對公眾開放,還會售賣食品和孩子玩的小玩具。可以在那里買到我一直很喜歡的小玩具風車。
Jingjing: Right. And what do people eat during the Spring Festival?
京晶:沒錯。那你了解春節期間人們會吃些什么嗎?
Mark: Dumplings, dumplings, and more dumplings. I've been avoiding dumplings for the past several weeks, in preparation for the holiday.
馬克:餃子、餃子,還是餃子。我過去的幾個星期都在避免吃餃子,就是為了春節做準備。
Jingjing: That's a good idea. Come to think of it, I haven't had dumplings in over a month either. Is there anything special about the dumplings during the Spring Festival?
京晶:好主意。仔細一想,我也已經1個多月沒吃餃子了。春節期間的餃子跟平時比有什么特別的嗎?
Mark: Yeah, people prefer to make them at home. It's something relatives can do together.
馬克:有啊,春節時人們更加喜歡在家里包餃子吃。這是一件是親戚們可以一起來做的事。
Jingjing: Do you know about the coins in dumplings?
京晶:你知道餃子里放硬幣是怎么回事嗎?
Mark: Of course! People put one or two coins in a batch of dumplings. Then, the person who gets one in a dumpling they start to eat—well, they'll make a lot of money in the coming year.
馬克:當然啦!人們會在一批餃子里包一到兩枚硬幣。吃到有硬幣的餃子的人,來年會發財。
Jingjing: Wow, it seems I can't get one by you. I'll think up some more questions for the next time I see you.
京晶:哇,看來我是問不倒你了。我得再多想出幾個問題,下次見到你時再問你。
Mark: That'll be sooner rather than later. I'm just going to buy some nuts at the department store.
馬克:宜早不宜遲。我馬上要去商場買些堅果。
Jingjing: Ok. I'll think quick.
京晶:好嘞,我這就趕緊想。
New words : 習語短語
I could do with 我可以用
I could use, I need
customs 習俗
special behaviors in a culture, like shaking hands with a person you've accidentally bumped into on the pavement
traditions 傳統
what people have been doing for a long time in a culture, like visiting relatives in a particular order on a holiday
pin-wheel 玩具風車
a child's toy a stick with a colorful wheel attached by a pin in the middle (when the wind blows, the wheel spins around)
get one by you ask you a question you can't answer (or) do something you'd object to without you noticing
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Wow, you got a lot!
京晶:哇,你買了好多堅果!
Mark: Figured I would. It doesn't hurt to have lots of nuts. If I have to visit in-laws on short notice, it's something to give them. If not, it's something to eat between meals.
馬克:我是想好的。多吃些堅果沒什么壞處。如果臨時通知要去走訪親戚,送堅果是不錯的選擇。不送人的話,也可以平時當零食吃。
Jingjing: A snack... right. I know about that. Hey, ready for some more festival questions?
京晶:零食……對。我知道的。嘿,準備好繼續回答春節問題了嗎?
Mark: Ready as I'll ever be.
馬克:隨時恭候。
Jingjing: Ok, so what do people do on Spring Festival eve?
京晶:好,那么,人們會在除夕夜做些什么?
Mark: They eat a lot, stay up late and watch the gala on TV. Didn't we talk about that last year?
馬克:人們通常大吃一頓、熬夜、圍在電視前看春晚。我們是不是去年談論過這個話題?
Jingjing: Oh, yeah. I was just checking to see if you still remember.
京晶:哦,是的。我就是想看看你還記得不。
Mark: How could I forget? It's been more than a decade of Spring Festivals for me.
馬克:怎么會忘了?我已經過了10多個春節了。
Jingjing: So, on to the tough questions. You know, everyone goes to visit their grandparents on the holiday. But, do you know on which days you're supposed to visit which set of grandparents?
京晶:那,我接下來要問個難一點兒的問題了。你知道,每個人都會去自己的爺爺奶奶或姥姥姥爺家過春節。但,你知道春節期間的哪些天去祖父祖母家,哪些天去外祖父祖母家嗎?
Mark: Hmm. That's a tough one. I always just went where I was told.
馬克:呃。這問題夠難。我總是讓去誰家就去誰家。
Jingjing: Do you wanna take a guess then?
京晶:那你想猜一猜嗎?
Mark: No. I'm stumped. You have to tell me.
馬克:不。我被難住了。你還是直接告訴我吧。
Jingjing: Ha ha, got you. Okay, so, on the first day of the new year, people traditionally visit their paternal grandparents. Same with the second day. Then, on the third day, people visit their maternal grandparents.
京晶:哈哈,終于考住你了。好吧,根據習俗,新年的第一天,人們會去祖父祖母家。第二天也一樣。然后,第三天,人們會去外祖父外祖母家。
Mark: I'll have to pay attention to that next time I go back.
馬克:下次回去時我一定注意一下。
Jingjing: Yeah. See if I'm right.
京晶:對啊??纯次艺f的對不對。。
Mark: Well, have a good new year, Jingijing!
馬克:好吧,京晶,過個好年啊!
Jingjing: I will. See you soon!
京晶:會啦。那回見啦!
New words : 習語短語
It doesn't hurt to (do sth). 也無妨,對某事有利
It's a good idea, most likely a benefit, with little or no risk.
on short notice 臨時通知
an appointment to meet someone or do some work, without being told much earlier
stumped 把某人難住,使為難
unable to answer a question (don't know the answer)
paternal grandparents 祖父母
dad's mom and dad (grandparents on your dad's side of the family)
maternal grandparents 外祖父母
mom's mom and dad (grandparents on your mom's side of the family)