Dialogue 1
Mark: Ma'am, could you roll down your window, please? ...No! Don't open your door. Just roll down the window.
馬克:女士,請您搖下車窗…不!別開車門,搖下車窗即可。
Jingjing: Sorry, I'm a little nervous.
京晶:抱歉,我有點緊張。
Mark: May I see your license and registration?
馬克:請出示您的駕照和車輛登記嗎?
Jingjing: Sure, here they are.
京晶:當然。給您。
Mark: Do you know why I stopped you?
馬克:您知道我為什么叫停嗎?
Jingjing: I'm afraid I have no idea.
京晶:恐怕…我還真不知道。
Mark: You failed to stop at an intersection a while back. There was a stop sign, and you turned right without even slowing down.
馬克:之前您在十字路口沒停車。那兒有個停車標識,您右轉時甚至都沒減速。
Jingjing: Was that back in town? I remember taking a right and seeing clearly in all directions. I thought it was okay to keep going.
京晶:是在城里嗎?我記得我當時右轉了,四下看得很清楚。我以為可以繼續前行。
Mark: No ma'am. According to California law, if there's a stop sign, you have to come to a complete stop, even before turning right.
馬克:并非如此,女士。根據加州法律,如遇停車標識,您必須完全停車,即使要右轉了也得停。
Jingjing: I'm sorry. I just filled up for gas and was eager to get back on the interstate. I guess I didn't notice the stop sign.
京晶:很抱歉。我剛給車加滿了油,想著趕緊上高速,我猜我真沒有注意到這個停車標識。
Mark: You need to pay more attention to signals and signs. If there's a kid on a bike or someone standing at the corner, they need to be safe on the street.
馬克:您需要更加留意信號燈和路牌標識。如果有騎車的兒童,行人站在角落,他們需要在街頭有安全保障。
Jingjing: I get it. I'll be more careful from now on. Are you going to give me a ticket?
京晶:明白了。今后我會更小心的。您會給我開張罰單嗎?
Mark: Stay here while I go back to the patrol car. I'm going to check your records for a few minutes, and then I'll be right back. Do not get out of the vehicle.
馬克:您停在這兒,我回去巡邏車檢查您的駕駛記錄,需要幾分鐘,然后我就會回來。別下車。
Jingjing: Okay, officer. I'll be right here.
京晶:好的,長官。我就在原地。
New words : 習語短語
registration 車輛登記
proof or ownership (or rental) of a car
vehicle 汽車
car, van, SUV, truck, bus
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Is everything okay?
京晶:一切正常嗎?
Mark: Your driving record is clear in the state of California. Ma'am, could I see what you have behind your seat?
馬克;您的駕駛記錄在加州是沒問題的。女士,我能看一下您座位后那是什么嗎?
Jingjing: Huh? Here, let me unlock that door. Okay, try it now.
京晶:啊?讓我來打開那個門。好了,您看看
Mark: Would you like to tell me about this?
馬克:這個東西,您有什么想說的嗎?
Jingjing: Oh, that wine bottle? I forgot all about that!
京晶:哦,那個酒瓶嗎?我都忘干凈了。
Mark: When was the last time you consumed alcoholic beverages?
馬克:您上一次飲用酒精飲料是什么時候?
Jingjing: It'd be that wine, two—no, three days ago. I put the bottle in the seat pocket because I didn't want it rolling around the trunk.
京晶:那瓶酒的話,2天,哦不,三天前。我把酒瓶放在座位袋里已經我不想它在后備箱里滾來滾去。
Mark: Technically, this is an open container.
馬克:嚴格說,這是一個開口容器。
Jingjing: I don't want to argue, but the cork is in there pretty tight.
京晶:我不想爭辯,但是那個酒瓶塞還是挺緊的。
Mark: It's still an open container, because it's not sealed, and it's within reach of the driver. Could you step out of the vehicle now?
馬克:那也是一開口容器,因為它不是密封的,而且就在司機觸手可及的范圍內。您現在能從車里出來一下嗎?
Jingjing: Sure, okay.
京晶:當然,好的。
Mark: Breathe into this for me.
馬克:請您對著這個吹氣。
Jingjing: Ok, like this?
京晶:哦?像這樣嗎?
Mark: Yes. This shows your blood alcohol to be below the legal limit. How about you secure this wine bottle in the trunk for me?
馬克:是的,這個顯示您的血液酒精含量在合法值以下。這樣如何?您能確保把酒瓶在后備箱里妥善放置好嗎?
Jingjing: Alright. Am I in any trouble?
京晶:好的。我有麻煩了嗎?
Mark: I'll let you off with a warning this time. But I'm going to flag your record. Any further violation within the next month is far more likely to result in a citation, or worse.
馬克:這次放你一馬,就當是個警告。但我將標記在您的行駛記錄里,下月之內任何更嚴重的違章行為都將導致收到罰單,或更嚴重的處罰。
Jingjing: Thanks, officer. I appreciate it.
京晶:謝謝,長官,十分感謝。
New words : 習語短語
alcoholic beverages 酒精類飲料
beer, wine, liquer
open container 開口容器
a bottle, can, cup or glass that is not still sealed
let someone off 放過某人,不懲罰
don't punish someone
flag 做個標注,記錄
put a note on something, for other officers to see
violation 違章,違規
(violation of the law) breaking the rules
citation 罰單
traffic ticket