Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Mark, how'd you spend the New Year?
京晶:馬克,新年怎么過的?
Mark: Huh? It's only just begun. I've hardly spent any of it.
馬克:啊?這不才剛開始嗎。我還沒過呢。
Jingjing: I mean the holiday, silly! Did you do anything fun?
京晶:我是說假期,傻不傻!做什么有趣的事了嗎?
Mark: Nothing too spectacular. My wife and I both got off work late in the evening. We walked around the Olympic Park for a while, and then headed home. And you?
馬克:也沒有什么驚艷的呢。我和太太晚上下班都比較晚,我們沿著奧林匹克公園走了一圈,然后就回家了,你呢?
Jingjing: Some friends reserved KTV for the wee hours of the morning. So, I went to bed around 10, planning to get up at 1:30 and head out to meet them. Only I slept through the whole night.
京晶:有朋友預定了凌晨時段去唱KTV。所以,我十點就睡了,計劃一點半起床去找他們。可我,一整晚都睡過去了。
Mark: Ha ha. It sounds like you needed to catch your Zs more than you needed a late night out.
馬克:哈哈哈。聽上去,你更需要的不是晚上出門玩耍而是多多睡點覺。
Jingjing: Yeah, I guess. Well, tell me about your New Year's resolutions for this year.
京晶:是啊,也許吧。來,跟我說說你今年的新年計劃吧!
Mark: Oh, I haven't really thought about them much.
馬克:噢,我還沒怎么仔細想呢。
Jingjing: Now's the time. What were they last year?
京晶:現在就是時候了呀。去年的計劃是什么?
Mark: Well, I resolved to spend less time playing games on my phone. But I'm still as addicted as ever to those.
馬克:嗯,我決心一定要少花些時間玩手機游戲的。但是現在依舊還沉迷。
Jingjing: You don't strike me as someone who lacks self control.
京晶:你給我的印象可不是那種缺乏自控力的人啊。
Mark: Hmm. Hey, I stopped drinking alcohol.
馬克:嗯。對了,我戒酒了。
Jingjing: Really? I never knew you as a heavy drinker.
京晶:真的嗎?我從不知道你還酗酒。
Mark: I was, some years back. Now, I haven't had any alcohol since last September—except for a sip or two at Christmas.
馬克:曾是,那是從前的事了。如今,自打去年九月以后,我已滴酒不沾——除了圣誕節小喝兩口什么的。
Jingjing: I'm happy for you, Mark. You quit smoking in 2017, and quit drinking in 2018. Keep up the good health!
京晶:真為你感到高興,馬克。你2017成功戒煙,2018成功戒酒。保持健康吧,這樣挺好!
Mark: Thanks, Jingjing. Tell me about your resolutions.
馬克:謝謝京晶。跟我說說你的計劃吧。
Jingjing: You always make me guess. Now it's your turn!
京晶:你總是讓我猜,現在該輪到你了。
New words : 習語短語
the wee hours of the morning 凌晨時分 1點—5點間
after midnight and before most people wake up, 1:00AM-5:00AM
catch your Zs 睡覺,睡夠,有機會瞇一下
sleep, get enough sleep, get the chance to sleep
You don't strike me as... 你向來不是給我……的印象
You don't seem to be... (i.e. You don't strike me as a novel reader. You don't strike me as someone who reads lots of novels.)
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Ready to guess?
京晶:準備好猜了嗎?
Mark: I seem to remember you always making me guess. But I'll take a stab at it.
馬克:我似乎記得你總是讓我猜,那我要試試看了。
Jingjing: Do I need to give you a hint?
京晶:需要給你點提示嗎?
Mark: Well, I was going to guess something about self-improvement. Am I in the ballpark?
馬克:我本來是想猜…是不是關于自我提升方面的?大致靠近了嗎?
Jingjing: I'd say so; but that's totally vague. Here's my hint: adventure.
京晶:算吧,但是也太模糊了,給你點提示:冒險。
Mark: Um, have you made up your mind to have more adventures in 2019?
馬克:哦,你已經決定2019年要多多冒險?
Jingjing: Yeah, that's pretty much it. You know, years past, I travelled a lot, got to see Europe. It was exciting.
京晶:是的,差不多可以這么說吧。你知道,過去這些年,我也去過不少地方,游過了歐洲,還是頗令人興奮的。
Mark: I thought you just made that trip to England and Ireland.
馬克:我以為你那趟旅行只是去過英國和愛爾蘭呢。
Jingjing: Yeah, but that was so rushed. When I got back to Beijing and back to work, I felt like it hadn't really happened.
京晶:是,但那趟太匆匆了。當我回到北京,重新上班時,我感覺這事就像沒發生過。
Mark: Yeah, jet lag will do that to you. How long were you in Europe?
馬克:是的,時差也會讓你有這種感覺。在歐洲停留了多久?
Jingjing: 10 days! So, I've resolved to make a trip like that, at least once a year. Even if I travel domestically, I want to have enough time to settle in there and make it really feel like a vacation and a life experience.
京晶:十天。所以,我決定要再來一次那樣的旅行,至少一年一次。即使只是在國內旅行,我也希望有足夠的時間在當地感受生活,讓假期真的像假期,成為一種生活體驗。
Mark: I'm with you on that. So, how will you decide where to go?
馬克:這一點我同意你。所以,你怎么決定要去哪兒呢?
Jingjing: I always thought it was cool, in movies, when someone threw a dart at a globe and then picked their next travel destination according to where the dart hit.
京晶:我一直覺得這種方式挺酷的,在電影里,有的人直接在地圖上扔個飛鏢,
鏢擊中哪兒哪兒就是下一個旅行目的地。
Mark: Chances are, you'll spend 10 days in the ocean.
馬克:有可能是,10天都在海上哦。
Jingjing: A cruise, then—and there are islands, you know.
京晶:那就郵輪,再說還有小島呢。
Mark: Right, right; of course. I'm eager to know what you pick.
馬克:對對對,當然,當然,我特想知道你會去哪兒。
New words : 習語短語
I seem to remember... 我似乎記得……正好相反的事
Actually, I remember the opposite of what you just said. This is a way of correcting someone without confronting them. (I seem to remember you doing something. i.e. I seem to remember you telling me you would pay for dinner this time.)
in the ballpark 差不多了,很靠近
close to making a correct guess (often used when guessing how much money something will cost)
travel domestically 國內旅行
take a trip within one's home country (opposite of travel internationally)