So I started experimenting. I got a few dozen things out of the boxes,
我開始嘗試。我從箱子里挑選了幾十樣東西,
I put them about in a room, and I invited people to come in and ask me about anything that they found interesting.
將它們擺放在一個房間內,邀請人們前來并詢問他們感興趣的事物。
The results were terrific. A good story became a launching pad for a much deeper discussion,
結果非常棒。一段好的故事會激發出更深入的討論,
in which my visitors made meaningful connections to their own lives.
讓我的訪客建立起和他們自身息息相關的聯系。
Derrius asked me about a Leonard Peltier T-shirt that I'd worn a lot in the '80s, that, sadly, is still relevant today.
Derrius曾問過我關于Leonard Peltier T恤的故事,我在80年代經常穿它,令人感傷的是,它與現在仍緊密相連。
Our conversation moved quickly, from a large number of political prisoners in American jails,
我們的對話進展很快,從美國監獄中關押的大量政治犯,
to Derrius wondering about the legacy of the Black Liberation Movement of the '60s,
到Derrius想要了解60年代黑人解放運動的遺留問題,
and how his life might be different if he'd come of age then, instead of 30-odd years later.
以及如果他在那時就已成年,而不是30年后,他的人生將是什么樣子。
At the end of our conversation, Derrius asked me if he could have the T-shirt.
在談話的最后,Derrius問我能否把T恤給他。
And giving it to him felt just about perfect.
我想這可能是最完美的做法。
As these conversations established common ground, especially across generations,
當這些對話建立起共同點,特別是跨世紀的共同點,
I realized I was opening a space for people to talk about things that really mattered to them.
我意識到我開拓了一片新天地,人們可以談論他們真正關心的事情。
And I started seeing myself with a renewed sense of purpose
我的人生也有了全新的使命感,
not as the old guy on the way out, but as someone with a role to play going forward.
我不再是將要離世的老人,而是有角色要扮演的人,在向前邁進。
When I was growing up, life ended for most people in their 70s.
在我小時候,大多數人會在70歲逝世。
People are living far longer now, and for the first time in human history,
但是人們的壽命在延長,人類史上第一次發現,
it's common for four generations to be living side by side.
四世同堂是一件很平常的事情。
I'm 71, and with a bit of luck, I've got 20 or 30 more years ahead of me.
我已經71歲了,如果幸運的話,我還可以活20年或30年。
Giving away my stuff now and sharing it with friends, family,
現在就拿出我的收藏,把它們的故事講述給我的朋友、家人,
and I hope strangers, too, seems like the perfect way to enter this next stage of my life.
我甚而希望是陌生人,似乎是進入人生新階段的最好方式。
Turns out to be just what I was looking for:
這正是我所找尋的:
a ritual that's less about dying and more about opening the door to whatever comes next. Thank you.
一個與死亡無關的儀式,敞開大門,迎接未來,謝謝你們。