Mothers who work outside the home are constantly reminded of these challenges.
在外工作的女性總是不得不面對這些挑戰。
Tina Fey noted that when she was promoting the movie Date Night with Steve Carell, a father of two and star of his own sitcom,
演員蒂娜·菲曾注意到,當她與已是兩個孩子的父親、男主角史蒂夫·卡雷爾在宣傳電影《約會之夜》時,
reporters would grill Fey on how she balances her life, but never posed that question to her male costar.
記者會特別關心她如何平衡生活與工作,卻從來不會向男主角提這個問題。
As she wrote in Bossypants, "What is the rudest question you can ask a woman?
她在《天后外傳》中寫道:“對于一個女人來說,最粗魯的問題是什么?
'How old are you? 'What do you weigh?
是‘你今年多大了’,還是‘你體重多少’?
No, the worst question is 'How do you juggle it all?
都不是。最爛的問題是:‘你是怎么兼顧所有事情的?’
... People constantly ask me, with an accusatory look in their eyes.
人們總是在問我這個問題,而且目光里還有譴責的意思。
'You're fucking it all up, aren't you? their eyes say."
‘其實你搞得一團糟,不是嗎?’他們已經用眼神這樣說了。”
Fey nails it.
真是一針見血。
Employed mothers and fathers both struggle with multiple responsibilities,
全職媽媽和全職爸爸都要辛苦地履行很多責任,
but mothers also have to endure the rude questions and accusatory looks that remind us that we're shortchanging both our jobs and our children.
但女性還不得不忍受粗魯的問題和譴責的目光,被人們提醒自己在工作和孩子身上的投入都在打折扣。
As if we needed reminding.
好像我們需要提醒似的。
Like me, most of the women I know do a great job worrying that we don't measure up.
和我一樣,我認識的大多數女性都有一份很好的工作,她們也經常擔心自己不稱職。
We compare our efforts at work to those of our colleagues, usually men, who typically have far fewer responsibilities at home.
我們會拿自己工作上的努力程度和同事(常常是男性)作對比,而他們所做的家務卻比我們要少得多;
Then we compare our efforts at home to those of mothers who dedicate themselves solely to their families.
然后我們又拿自己在家里的努力程度與那些全職媽媽們作對比。
Outside observers reminding us that we must be struggling—and failing—is just bitter icing on an already soggy cake.
旁觀者的議論讓我們感覺到自己在掙扎應對的同時還在滑向失敗,這簡直就是雪上加霜。