White corn is one of our relatives.
白玉米就跟我們的親人差不多。
We feel that she is alive, she wants to do the job that she told our creator she would do, is to feed our people and nourish them.
我們覺得白玉米是有生命的,她想兌現她對我們的造物主許下的諾言,那就是養活我們的人民,養育他們。
The work that we do, if we didn't have this, we would lose everything.
我們做這份工作是因為,如果沒有白玉米,我們就什么都沒了。
For a few thousand years, Potawatomi people have been incredible farmers and have grown lots and lots of varieties of crops.
幾千年來,波塔瓦托米人一直是了不起的農民,他們種植了許許多多不同種類的農作物。
The seed library is a place where we take crops which are disappearing, rare and endangered Potawatomi vegetables, and we grow them out,
種子庫就是我們把已經開始消失或者已經十分稀有,已經瀕危的波塔瓦托米蔬菜種植出來,
and we restore them and put them back in the hands of native farmers.
恢復它們的產量,然后再把它們交回當地農民手中這么一個地方。
George Martin carries the Potawatomi tradition of making ndamnabo, or corn soup.
喬治·馬丁繼承了制作ndamnabo,也就是玉米湯的傳統。
In our seed library, we have 76 unique varieties of corn.
我們的種子庫里有76種獨特的玉米品種。
Each one has its own cultural identity, its own unique flavor.
每一種都有自己的文化身份,有自己獨特的味道。
After a while, when we stir it, you'll see how tough it gets to stir it.
過一會兒,攪拌它的時候,你就知道攪拌起來有多費勁了。
Our corn is a lot different than other corns which are out there.
我們的玉米和其他玉米有很大的不同。
If we didn't have the seed library, these traditional food, might be gone forever.
如果我們沒有種子庫,這些傳統的食物就可能永遠地消失。
Within our seed library, 80% of the varieties which we take care of are rare or nearly extinct.
在我們的種子庫中,我們精心呵護的品種中有80%的都是稀有或瀕臨滅絕的品種。
Some of the varieties we care for here, we're the only place in the world which has them.
有些在全世界范圍內都只有我們這里才有。
This one's gonna be a nice one.
這個肯定很飽滿。
Four years ago, when we first got nugasignuga, or White Flower Corn, we only had a half a canning jar, a very small amount of seed.
四年前,我們第一次拿到nugasignuga,也就是白花玉米種子的時候,只有半罐的量,可以說是非常非常少了。
We've grown it every year since, and now we have enough that we may have 100 bushels full.
從那以后,我們每年都種,現在我們已經種出了足夠的量了,估計得裝滿100蒲式耳(筐)了。
That's enough that next year we can plant six or seven acres of just this corn.
足夠我們明年種他個六七英畝了。
That's a huge increase.
這個增長可以說是非常非常大了。
It is important, that's what we were sent down here for, to take care of Mother Earth and all her creations here, and that corn realizes that.
重要,這也是我們被送到這里來的目的,來照顧地球母親和她創造的一切,而種植這種玉米幫助我們實現了這一點。
We're back using it again.
我們又開始食用這種玉米了。
You know, we're gonna use it in a feast.
在宴會上食用啦。
It makes the corn feel good, after being used by our people again.
這樣會讓玉米感覺很好,能夠重新被我們的人民食用。
It’s done, it’s ready to eat.
煮好了,可以吃了。