If you please, sir, I want leave of absence for a week or two.
對不起,先生,我想請一、兩周假。
What to do? Where to go?
干嘛?上哪兒去呀?
To see a sick lady who has sent for me.
去看一位生了病的太太,是她派人來叫我的。
what sick lady? Where does she live?
哪位生病的太太?她住在哪兒?
At Gateshead.
在蓋茨黑德府。
That is a hundred miles off! Who may she be that sends for people to see her that distance?
離這兒有一百英里呢!這么遠叫人回去看她,這人可是誰呀?
Her name is Reed, sir -- Mrs. Reed.
她叫里德,先生--里德太太。
Reed of Gateshead? There was a Reed of Gateshead, a magistrate.
蓋茨黑德的里德嗎?蓋茨黑德府是有一個叫里德的,是個地方法官。
It is his widow, sir.
我說的是他的寡婦,先生。
And what have you to do with her? How do you know her?
那你與她有什么關系?怎么認得她的呢?
Mr. Reed was my uncle -- my mother's brother.
里德先生是我的舅舅 -- 我母親的哥哥。
The deuce he was! You never told me that before. You always said you had no relations.
哎呀,他是你舅舅!你從來沒有跟我說起過他,你總是說你沒有親戚。
None that would own me, sir. Mr. Reed is dead, and his wife cast me off. Why?
沒有一個親戚肯承認我,先生。里德先生去世了,他的夫人拋棄了我。為什么?
Because I was poor, and burdensome, and she disliked me.
因為我窮,是個包袱,她不喜歡我。
But Reed left children? You must have cousins?
可是里德他留下了孩子?你一定有表兄妹的了?
Sir George Lynn was talking of a Reed of Gateshead yesterday, who, he said, was one of the veriest rascals on town.
昨天喬治·林恩爵士說起蓋茨黑德府一個叫里德的人--他說這人是城里一個十足的無賴。
And Ingram was mentioning a Georgiana Reed of the same place,
而英格拉姆提到了同一個地方叫喬治亞娜。里德的,
who was much admired for her beauty a season or two ago in London.
一兩個社交季節之前,因為美貌,在倫敦大受傾慕。
John Reed is dead, too, sir. He ruined himself and half-ruined his family, and is supposed to have committed suicide.
約翰·里德也死了,先生。他毀了自己,也差不多毀了他的家,據說他是自殺的。
The news so shocked his mother that it brought on an apoplectic attack.
噩耗傳來,他母親大為震驚,一下子中風了。