It was fifty pounds, and he owed me but fifteen. I told him I had no change.
五十英鎊,而他只欠我十五英鎊。我告訴他我找不出。
I don't want change; you know that. Take your wages.
我不要你找,你知道的。拿著你的工資吧。
I declined accepting more than was my due.
我拒絕接受超過我應得的東西。
He scowled at first. Then, as if recollecting something, he said: Right, right! Better not give you all now.
他先是皺了皺眉。隨后仿佛想起了什么似地說:行,行!現在還是不要全給你的好。
You would, perhaps, stay away three months if you had fifty pounds. There are ten. Is it not plenty?
要是你有五十鎊,也許就會呆上三個月。十英鎊,夠嗎?
Yes, sir, but now you owe me five.
夠啦,先生,不過現在你欠我五英鎊了。
Come back for it, then. I am your banker for forty pounds.
那就回來拿吧,你有四十鎊存在我這兒。
Mr. Rochester, I may as well mention another matter of business to you while I have the opportunity.
羅切斯特先生,我還是趁這個機會向你提一下另一樁事務吧。
Matter of business? I am curious to hear it.
事務?我聽了很感到好奇。
You have as good as informed me, sir, that you are going shortly to be married?
你實際上已經通知我,先生,你很快就要結婚了。
Yes. What then?
是的,那又怎么樣?
In that case, sir, Adèle ought to go to school.
那樣的話,先生,阿黛勒該去上學了。
I am sure you will perceive the necessity of it.
可以肯定你會覺察到這樣做的必要性。
To get her out of my bride's way, who might otherwise walk over her rather too emphatically?
讓她別礙著我新娘,不然她會過份地蔑視她。
There's sense in the suggestion, not a doubt of it.
毫無疑問,你這建議有道理。
Adèle, as you say, must go to school.
像你說的,阿黛勒得上學。
And you, of course, must march straight to -- the devil?
而你,當然,得直奔--魔鬼?
I hope not, sir, but I must seek another situation somewhere.
希望不是這樣,先生。不過我得上什么地方另找個工作。