And what good can you do her?
你能幫她什么忙?
Nonsense, Jane! I would never think of running a hundred miles to see an old lady who will, perhaps, be dead before you reach her. Besides, you say she cast you off.
胡鬧,簡!我才不會想跑一百英里去看一個老太太呢,而她也許還沒等你趕到就死了。更何況你說她把你拋棄了。
Yes, sir, but that is long ago; and when her circumstances were very different.
不錯,先生,但那已是很久以前了,而且當時的情況不同。
I could not be easy to neglect her wishes now.
現在要是我無視她的心愿,我會不安心的。
How long will you stay?
你要呆多久?
As short a time as possible, sir.
盡量短些,先生。
Promise me only to stay a week.
答應我只呆一星期.
I had better not pass my word. I might be obliged to break it.
我還是不要許諾好,很可能我會不得不食言。
At all events you will come back.
無論如何你要回來。
You will not be induced under any pretext to take up a permanent residence with her?
在任何情況下都要經得住勸誘,不跟她一輩子住在一起。
Oh, no! I shall certainly return if all be well.
呵,對!要是一切順利,我當然會回來的。
And who goes with you? You don't travel a hundred miles alone.
誰同你一起走?可不能獨個兒跑一百英里路呀?
No, sir, she has sent her coachman.
不,先生,她派了一個趕車人來。
A person to be trusted?
一個信得過的人嗎?
Yes, sir, he has lived ten years in the family.
是的先生,他在那兒已經住了十年。
Mr. Rochester meditated. “When do you wish to go?”
羅切斯特先生沉思了一會?!澳阆M裁磿r候走?”
Early tomorrow morning, sir.
明天一早,先生。
Well, you must have some money. You can't travel without money, and I dare say you have not much. I have given you no salary yet.
好吧,你得帶些錢在身邊。出門可不能沒有錢。我猜想你錢不多。我還沒有付你工資呢。
"How much have you in the world, Jane? "he asked, smiling.
"你一古腦兒還有多少錢,簡?"他笑著問。
I drew out my purse. A meagre thing it was.
我取出錢包,里面癟癟的。
Five shillings, sir.
五先令,先生。
He took the purse, poured the hoard into his palm, and chuckled over it as if its scantiness amused him.
他伸手拿過錢包,把里面的錢全倒在手掌上,噗吃一聲笑了出來,仿佛是錢使他高興似的。
Soon he produced his pocket-book: “Here,” said he, offering me a note.
他立刻取出了自己的皮夾子,“拿著吧,”他說著遞給我一張鈔票。