Today, we are a country divided, or at least that's what we're told.
今天,我們是個分裂的國家,或者至少這是我們被告知的。
We are torn apart by immigration, education, guns and health care.
我們被移民、教育、槍支和醫療保健弄得四分五裂。
Health care is ugly and it is loud, so loud that it threatens to drown out everything else.
醫療保健是丑陋和喧囂的,喧囂到淹沒其他一切。
Health care is a human right! Fight, fight, fight!
醫保是人權!戰斗,戰斗,戰斗!
Hey hey! Ho ho! Obamacare has got to go!
嘿,吼!奧巴馬醫保必須得走。
But what if underneath all the noise, we're not divided?
但如果在噪聲之下,我們沒有分裂呢?
What if the things that we don't ask about are the things that we most agree upon?
如果我們沒有問的問題是我們最廣泛同意一致的事情呢?
It turns out that when we ask the right questions, the answers are startling,
其實當我們問正確的問題時,答案是驚人的,
because we agree, not on health care, but on something more important: we agree on health.
因為我們意見一致的,并非在醫保上,而是在更為重要的事情上:我們在健康問題上一致。
For 20 years, I've been obsessed with one question: What do we, what do all of us need in order to be healthy?
20多年來,我一直著迷于一個問題:我們需要怎樣,我們所有人需要什么才能保持健康?
As a college student in 1995, I spent months talking to physicians at a chaotic hospital in Boston,
1995年我還是個大學生時,我花了幾個月的時間和波士頓一家混亂醫院的醫生交談,
asking them, "What's the one thing your patients most need to be healthy?"
問他們:“你的病人保持健康最需要的一件事是什么?”
They shared the same story again and again, one that I've heard hundreds of variations of since.
他們分享了同樣的故事一次又一次,自那之后,我聽到了上百個不同版本的變化。
They say, "Every day I see a patient with an asthma exacerbation, and I prescribe a controller medication.
他們說:“每天我看到哮喘的病人,就給他們開控制藥物。
But I know she is living in a mold-infested apartment.
但我知道她住在一間人滿為患的公寓里。
Or I see a kid with an ear infection, and I prescribe antibiotics, but I know there is no food at home.
或者我看到一個耳朵感染的孩子,我給他開了抗生素,我知道他家里缺乏食物。
And I don't ask about those issues, because there's nothing I can do."
我并不會問這些問題,因為我無能為力。”