It takes continual communication, honesty, and a lot of forgiveness to maintain a rickety balance.
要維護這樣一種脆弱的平衡,需要不停地溝通,保持坦誠和寬容。
We are never at fifty-fifty at any given moment—perfect equality is hard to define or sustain—but we allow the pendulum to swing back and forth between us.
我們絕不是在任何時候都刻意將家務對半分擔,完全的平等是很難定義或維持的,我們允許情況偶爾有所偏向。
In the coming years, our balancing act may get harder.
在此后幾年里,維護這種平衡變得越來越難。
Our children are still young and go to sleep early,
孩子小的時候睡得早,
which gives me plenty of time to work at night and even to watch what Dave considers to be truly bad TV.
因此我也能在晚上有一些工作時間,甚至還能看看戴夫認為很糟糕的電視節目。
As the kids get older, we will have to adjust.
孩子們漸漸長大了,我們不得不進行調整。
Many of my friends have told me that teenage children require more time from their parents.
許多朋友告訴我,青春期的孩子需要父母更多陪伴。
Every stage of life has its challenges.
人生的每個階段都有它的挑戰,
Fortunately, I have Dave to figure it out with me.
幸運的是,我有戴夫陪著我一起去應對,
He's the best partner I could imagine—even though he's wrong about my TV shows being bad.
他絕對是我所能想象的最好搭檔——就算他對我看的電視節目偶有偏見。
Having a true partner like Dave is still far too rare.
像戴夫這樣的搭檔實屬罕見。
While we expect women to be nurturing, we don't have the same expectations of men.
人們通常期望養育孩子的是女人,對男人卻沒有相同的期望。
My brother, David, once told me about a colleague who bragged about playing soccer the afternoon that his first child was born.
我的弟弟戴維告訴我,他的一個同事曾夸耀說,他第一個孩子出生的那天下午他正在踢球。
To David's credit, instead of nodding and smiling, he spoke up and explained that he didn't think that was either cool or impressive.
戴維的反應值得稱贊,他沒有點頭微笑,而是大聲說他覺得這樣做沒什么值得炫耀的。
This opinion needs to be voiced loudly and repeatedly on soccer fields, in workplaces, and in homes.
不管是在球場、職場,還是在家里,我們都應該大聲地表達出這樣的意見。