Now, of course, we were very interested to find out what are these so-called invasive species that are taking over in the zoo.
因此,我們對找出這些所謂的入侵物種很感興趣,它們主宰著動物園里動物體內的微生物群。
So we went back to the DNA,
所以我們分析了它們的DNA,
and what the DNA told us is that every monkey in the zoo had become dominated by Bacteroides and Prevotella,
發現動物園里的每只猴子的腸道內都被類桿菌和普氏菌所主宰,
the same microbes that we all have in our guts as modern humans.
這些猴子和現代人腸內擁有相同的微生物群。
We wanted to find a way to visualize this,
為找到讓這一發現結果可視化的方法,
and we used some tools from multivariate ecology to put all of the microbiomes we were studying onto an axis.
我們使用了一些多元生態學工具,把我們研究的微生物群放在(坐標圖的)軸線上。
And what you're seeing here is a distance plot where every point is a different animal's microbiome.
這里你看到的是一個距離圖,每個點代表著不同動物的微生物群。
So every point represents a whole zoo of microbes.
所以,每一點也代表了整個動物園的微生物。
And the microbiomes that have a lot of microbes in common are close to each other.
如果不同微生物群中彼此的微生物相似的話,它們在圖中的距離就很近。
The ones that are very different are farther apart.
差異很大的微生物群,在圖中則離彼此很遠。
So this is showing you that the two groups of wild monkeys are over on the left.
這里展示的是:最左邊的點代表兩組野外的猴子。
The top left are these highly endangered monkeys called the red-shanked douc in Vietnam.
左上方的點是高度瀕危的越南猴,叫做白臀葉猴。
And at the bottom left are monkeys from Costa Rica.
左下角的點則是來自哥斯達黎加的猴子。
So you can see that they have totally different microbiomes in the wild.
從圖中看出,野外生活的猴子有著完全不同的微生物群。
And then the same two species of monkey in the zoo are converging,
而在動物園里,這兩種猴子(的微生物群)正在匯合,
so their microbiomes change and they become much more similar to each other,
它們的微生物群改變了,變得更加相似,
even though these are zoos on different continents, different geographical regions, and they're eating different diets.
盡管它們(猴子)來自不同大洲的動物園、不同的地理區域和不同的飲食。