Dialogue 1
Mark: How's everything, Jingjing?
You look chipper.
馬克:京晶,最近如何?你看著興高采烈的樣子。
Jingjing: I am. Thanks for noticing.
京晶:我還確實時。
感謝你留意到。
Mark: Any good news you wanna share with me?
馬克:有什么好消息要和我分享嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah, actually. I got invited to a wedding.
京晶:有呢。我之前被邀請去參加了一場婚禮。
Mark: That's cool. Do you know the bride, or the groom, or both?
馬克:很不錯啊!你認識新娘還是新郎?還是都認識?
Jingjing: I know the bride. She was my classmate when I took aseminar in the UK.
京晶:我認識新娘。她是我在英國短期學習時的同學。
Mark: Oh? Is she Chinese, or British, or what?
馬克:噢?那她是中國人,英國人?還是其他?
Jingjing: She's Chinese by race, but was born in England. The wedding's in three weeks. I'm on the fence about going there for it.
京晶:種族上中國人,但是在英國出生的?;槎Y三周后舉行,我還在猶豫要不要去參加。
Mark: You mean the wedding is in England?
馬克:你意思是婚禮在英國舉行?
Jingjing: Exactly. I have some vacation days to use up before the end of this year. So, the timing couldn't be better.
京晶:對啊。我還有一些假期年底前要休完。所以,這時間點簡直掐得太準了。
Mark: I think you should go. I mean, you've already been to the UK,but it'd be great to see an old friend and be there on her special day.
馬克:我覺得你應該去。我是說,你已經去過英國了,去見一個老朋友,在她人生中特別的那天到場見證,這樣真的很好啊。
Jingjing: Right. And I'm looking into an open jaw that would give me a few days in Ireland. I've not been there before. So...
京晶:對。我在查能讓我去幾天愛爾蘭的缺口票,我從未去過那兒,所以…
Mark: So, it sounds like it's going to be a great little holiday. How many days do you have in total?
馬克:聽上去這將是個很棒的小假期哦。你總共有多少天假?
Jingjing: Nine: five work days, when I can get leave, and the two weekends.
京晶:9天。5個工作日,我能走得開的,還有兩個周末。
Mark: Isn't the wedding on one of those weekends?
馬克:婚禮難道不是在其中一個周末嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah. So, I might be a little jet-lagged. Hey, I need some advice from you about the wedding?
京晶:是啊。所以,我們能會有點時差。嘿,我需要你給我一點關于婚禮的建議。
Mark: Sure. I hope I can help.
馬克:沒問題,希望我能幫上忙。
New words : 習語短語
seminar 短期學術學習 研討會(班)
a short academic course
on the fence 猶豫不決的
undecided
open jaw 一種不同點進出的開口機票
a kind of air ticket, with two travel destinations before the return flight
“缺口程”機票指的是三地之間往返機票,其中有兩段需要乘坐同一航空公司安排執行的航班。比如,從北京飛桂林后,乘坐其他交通工具到貴陽,再從貴陽坐同一家航空公司的航班回北京。這樣的缺口票是很方便的。缺口程機票的價錢可能比往返機票略貴一點點,但試試無妨。而且去旅行有時時間比錢更重要,花多一點錢節省走回頭路的時間是值得的。舉例來說,你從廣州坐飛機到上海下飛機從上海一路玩到北京,最后要從北京搭飛機回廣州,上海到北京的行程要自己規劃,來回機票就形成一個缺口,所以就叫做缺口票。
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, for the wedding, I'm wondering what to wear and what to bring.
京晶:那,去參加婚禮,我想知道該穿什么,該帶什么禮物。
Mark: What does it say on the invite?
馬克:請柬上怎么說?
Jingjing: They didn't send out invitations. There was just an announcement on social media.
京晶:他們沒有發請柬呢。只是在社交媒體上發布了一則通告。
Mark: That's very modern. So, uh, what did it say on the announcement?
馬克:還挺現代的。那通告上怎么說?
Jingjing: I remember the phrase, “come as you are”.
京晶:我記得措辭是:本色前往(隨意就好)。
Mark: That usually means you don't have to dress up too much. Regular clothes would be okay. Of course, something a little nicer would be fine. But there's no need for tuxedos and gowns.
馬克:這通常是指你不用過分盛裝打扮。平常服裝即可。當然,穿點質地上乘的也不錯。但沒必要穿燕尾服和禮服了。
Jingjing: That's good to know. Do you have any ideas what I should give as a present?
京晶:知道這個很好。你怎么看我應該送什么禮物呢?
Mark: It's not so common to give money at western weddings. A lot of couples set up a bridal registry at a department store.
馬克:送錢給禮金在西式婚禮上并不常見。有許多夫婦在百貨公司設立了新婚賀禮登記服務。
Jingjing: Oh yeah. The announcement said they were registered at Harrods.
京晶:噢對哦,通告上說,他們在哈洛德百貨登記了。
Mark: You could go to their website and put in the registry number,then buy something for them online.
馬克:你可以去他們的網站,輸入登記號碼,直接給他們在網上買東西了。
Jingjing: Don't you think that's a bit impersonal?
京晶:你不覺得這樣似乎有點沒有人情味嗎?
Mark: Well, you might not get the chance to hand off a gift to your friend as she's greeting guests. Hey, why don't you do both: prepare a red envelope for her, and purchase something from the registry?
馬克:這么說吧,到時候你的朋友招呼來賓們時你可能都沒機會把準備好的禮物遞給她。嘿,為什么不兩種方法都用上呢:給她準備一個紅包,然后從登記處再買點東西。
Jingjing: Hmm, it wouldn't hurt to have a red envelope ready. And I'd better have a look at the registry, just to be on the safe side.
京晶:嗯…事先備個紅包也無妨,然后安全起見,我最好也看看登記怎么買。
Mark: It sounds like you've got that covered. Anything else you need to consider?
馬克:聽上去你已經搞定這事了。還需要考慮別的嗎?
Jingjing: Just whether or not to go to the church wedding. I know most guests just show up for the reception.
京晶:就是要不要去教堂婚禮。我知道大多數客人只是在接待處現身一下。
Mark: Let your friend decide, once you let her know you're coming. That's easy, and probably depends on how big the church is. Don't worry about faux pas.
馬克:那就讓你的朋友來決定吧,只要你讓她知道你要去。那也很簡單,也許取決于教堂有多大(能不能容納這么多人)。別擔心失禮。
New words : 習語短語
come as you are 本色前往(不需要隆重打扮)
no need to wear formal clothes to an event
dress up 正式打扮,盛裝打扮
wear formal clothes
tuxedo 燕尾服
a kind of formal suit for men
bridal registry an account at a department store, set up by a couple when they're getting married, for people to keep track of gifts purchased
親朋好友會收到一份長長的購物單,叫做新娘登記單(Bridal registry),上面的物品多是實用的日用品,為避免重復購買造成浪費而使用的一種送禮方式。
impersonal 沒有人情味的
makes people feel like strangers
hand off 把東西遞給某人
give something to someone quickly
faux pas (French “false step”) 失禮
a mistake about manners
vt. 買,購買
n. 購買,購買的物品