"You're more than that," said the Scarecrow, in a grieved tone; "you're a humbug."
“你比普通人更糟糕,”稻草人用著一種悲憤的語調說:“你是一個騙子。”
"Exactly so!" declared the little man, rubbing his hands together as if it pleased him. "I am a humbug."
“說得很對!”矮小的老頭兒說著,搓著他的雙手,好像這樣的坦白使他高興些,“我是一個騙子。”
"But this is terrible," said the Tin Woodman. "How shall I ever get my heart?"
鐵皮人說,“真是不可思議,我又怎樣得到我的心?”
"Or I my courage?" asked the Lion.
“還有我的膽量?”獅子問他。
"Or I my brains?" wailed the Scarecrow, wiping the tears from his eyes with his coat sleeve.
“還有我的腦子?”稻草人傷心地哭了,用他的衣袖抹著眼里淚水。
"My dear friends," said Oz, "I pray you not to speak of these little things.
“我的親愛的朋友們,”奧芝說,“我請求你們不要在這種小事上耗費時間。
Think of me, and the terrible trouble I'm in at being found out."
你們怎么不替我想想,我的秘密被你們揭穿了是最可怕的事情。”
"Doesn't anyone else know you're a humbug?" asked Dorothy.
“其他的人知道你是個騙子嗎?”多蘿茜問。
"No one knows it but you four--and myself," replied Oz.
“都不知道的,除了你們四個以外——還有我自己,”奧芝回答說。
"I have fooled everyone so long that I thought I should never be found out.
“我很久以來愚弄每一個人,遠以為永遠不會被揭穿的。
It was a great mistake my ever letting you into the Throne Room.
我經常讓你們出入這宮殿,這是我犯下的愚蠢的錯誤。
Usually I will not see even my subjects, and so they believe I am something terrible."
在平時即使我手下的人,也沒有見過我,所以他們對我的魔法深信不疑。”
"But, I don't understand," said Dorothy, in bewilderment.
“但是,我不明白,”多蘿茜煩惱地說。
"How was it that you appeared to me as a great Head?"
“你怎么樣變成一個大大的頭,在我面前出現的?”
"That was one of my tricks," answered Oz. "Step this way, please, and I will tell you all about it."
“那是我耍的魔術,”奧芝回答說。“請跟我來,我將把這一切說給你們聽。”
He led the way to a small chamber in the rear of the Throne Room, and they all followed him.
他領著路,他們跟在他后面,走進宮殿后面的一間小臥室里。
He pointed to one corner, in which lay the great Head, made out of many thicknesses of paper, and with a carefully painted face.
他指著一個角落,在那里放著一個大頭,是用許多厚紙做成的,畫出了一張很細致的臉。