A few local houses around a local square.
有一些房屋建在當地的一個廣場上。
In the middle of the square, a great tree, an oak tree.
廣場中央有一棵巨大的橡樹。
And beside the oak tree, there was a well.
橡樹旁邊有一口井。
We sat down from the heat of the temperatures of about40 degrees.
我們坐在橡樹下躲避40度左右的高溫。
Xuelin and I sat down beside the well and underneath the tree,
我和雪琳在井邊坐下來,就在樹下。
and not long before people start coming to join us and start to talk about what we were doing,
過了一會兒人們開始加入到我們中間來,
why we were doing, what we were doing.
問我們在做什么以及為什么這樣做。
And as we sat there, they explain that the tree that was providing the shade was some five hundred years old,
當我們坐在那里時,他們說提供樹蔭的樹已經有五百年的歷史了,
that the well just beside this was seven hundred years old.
它旁邊的那口井已經有七百年的歷史了。
And we were getting very nostalgic about this and I said to the few people over there.
我覺得很懷舊,我和那邊的幾個人開始攀談。
I said have you had many visitors to your village?
我問他們是不是有很多游客?
Many foreigners come to your village? And they looked at each other and they said no.
很多外國人到他們村子里來?他們相互看了看,告訴我說沒有。
And I start really excited.
我開始感到很興奮。
I thought I discovered somewhere new and they said but we were not quite sure.
我覺得我發現了新大陸。他們告訴我他們不是很確定。
But the person who would know is the old man of the village. He's 95 years old.
但是村里有個老人會知道。老人已經95歲了。
He's lived here all of his life, apart from two years in 1943
在這里住了一輩子,除了1943年的時候,
when he went off to fight to liberate Jinan which was under Japanese occupation at the time, but he's lived here all his life.
他外出兩年去解放當時在日本占領下的濟南,他一輩子都住在這里。
So they went into the field and they brought him and he sat under the tree
他們就到田間去把他領過來。他坐在樹下,
and they said has anybody, any foreigner visited at this village before. He said no, no, this man is the first.
他說這個村子以前沒有外國人來過。這個外國人是第一個。