This Great Big Story was made possible by Wells Fargo. Established 1852, re-established 2018.
感謝初創于1852年,重組于2018年的富國銀行對本期《偉大的故事》的大力支持。
This is Myron. Hi.
這是邁倫。大家好。
Myron is an athlete. I played a little football in college. And ...I was a Rhodes Scholar. And ....I played for the NFL.
邁倫是一名運動員。我在大學里偶爾也會打橄欖球。而且......我是羅德學者。也是NFL(美國橄欖球聯盟)球員。
And ....I have a Master's degree in Medical Anthropology.
我……還有醫學人類學碩士學位。
And ....And, I'm a neurosurgeon. Sheesh.
還……還是神經外科醫生。我滴老天鵝哎。
My first dream was to play professional football.
我最初的夢想是當一名職業橄欖球運動員。
There's no question.
沒有懸念啊。
I was very active as a young man, and I knew that I was pretty good at it.
小的時候我很有活力,我自己也知道我橄欖球打得還不錯。
When I got to the fifth grade, that's when I knew I wanted to pursue my second dream.
到了五年級的時候,我知道自己有了第二個夢想。
I read a book called Gifted Hands by Ben Carson, who looked like me-he was black who came from a similar socioeconomic background as me.
當時我看了《妙手仁醫之本·卡森的故事》,里面的本·卡森跟我很像 - 他來自和我類似的社會經濟背景。
We didn't have much money when we left the Bahamas and came to America,
從巴哈馬初來美國時,我們沒什么錢,
and the more I read about it, the more I knew that once I was done playing football,
那本書我閱讀到后面,就越覺得如果橄欖球這條路走不通,
neurosurgery was gonna be the pathway and the second chapter of my life.
神經外科手術就是我要走的路,它將為我開啟生命的第二個篇章。
I was the number one-rated high school player in the country for football-recruited by everyone 83 scholarship offers.
我曾經是國內最受歡迎的高中的橄欖球運動員,我們隊的每個人都有83項獎學金
I always felt that football fed academics, academics fed football.
我一直覺得橄欖球和學術是相輔相成的。
Myron spent his college years playing football and shadowing doctors.
大學期間,邁倫就一邊打橄欖球,一邊跟著醫生學習。

He graduated in two and a half years
他只用了兩年半的時間就完成了學業,
and was expected to be a first or second round draft pick in the NFL with a multi-million dollar contract,
而且,大家都期望他拿到NFL第一輪或第二輪的選秀權以及數百萬美元的合同,
but he also had a chance to study at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar.
同時,他也得到了以羅德學者的身份去牛津大學進修的機會。
I ended up deciding to go to Oxford and saying no to the NFL.
我最終決定拒絕NFL,選擇去牛津大學。
I spent a year and a half over there.
我在牛津待了一年半。
I came back to the United States,
之后就回到了美國,
went into the draft and got drafted in the sixth round instead of the second or first, made $70,000 instead of six million.
然后參加選秀,結果在第六輪的時候選上了,不是第二輪,也不是第一輪,拿到了7萬美元,而不是600萬的合同。
Played for three years, got out healthy, felt good about my time there, and, frankly, made enough money to pay for medical school.
接下來我在NFL待了三年,退役的時候身體很健康,對我那三年的表現也比較滿意,而且,老實說,也賺夠了我上醫學院需要的錢。
I didn't have any lasting concussions,
既沒有患上任何持久的老震蕩,
and my hands were okay to where I was able to do surgery in the operating room;
而且,我的手也是好好的,到手術室做手術是沒問題的;
and so I left on my own volition.
所以我自愿離開了。
Started medical school, and here I am now.
之后上了醫學院,再接下來就做了現在這份工作。
Since head injuries are common on the football field,
由于頭部受傷在橄欖球場上非常常見,
Myron works to impress the importance of avoiding concussions on young players.
所以邁倫就開始給年輕的隊員重復起了避免患上腦震蕩的重要性。
But for Myron, his days of tackling are behind him.
然而,對于邁倫來說, 打橄欖球的日子已經離自己遠去了。
Football was great for that season of my life, but now this is it.
足球在我生命過往的那段歲月是很美好,但已經結束了。
This is the pinnacle.
現在才是我人生的巔峰。
This is where I belong, and I've told my parents several times over and over again.
這才是我的歸宿,這一點我已經反復跟我父母說過了。
They ask me, "Myron, how do you feel? what you're doin' now? How do you feel?"
他們問我,“邁倫,你覺得怎么樣?你現在在做什么?你覺得怎么樣?”
I said, "Mommy and Daddy, I feel like this is where I belong."
我就說,“媽媽,爸爸,我覺得這才是我的歸宿。”
So, did you say you played a sport before? Yes, I played football.
你之前是不是說過你會某種運動?是的,我會打橄欖球。