When winter weather set in, the temperatures dropped below freezing.
當冬天來臨的時候,溫度驟降到零度以下。
And they stayed there. And I faced a whole new set of challenges.
然后就一直這么冷。我又遇到了一堆新問題,
I parked a different place every night so I would avoid being noticed and hassled by the police.
每晚我的車都停在不同的地方。這樣才可以不讓警察發現以至于和警察爭吵。
I didn't always succeed.But I felt out of control of my life.
當然,并不是每次都成功。但是,我覺得我已無力掌控自己的生活了。
And I don't know when or how it happened,
我也不知道什么時候或者是如何發生的,
but the speed at which I went from being a talented writer and journalist to being a homeless woman,
我這么快就從一個有才的寫手,新聞從業者變成一個無家可歸,
living in a van, took my breath away. I hadn't changed. My I.Q. hadn't dropped.
住在車里的女人,這簡直是快的難以置信。我并沒有變。我的智商沒有降低。
<br /

My talent, my integrity, my values, everything about me remained the same.
我的才能,我的正直,我的價值,所有關于我的這些東西都還是一樣。
But I had changed somehow. I spiraled deeper and deeper into a depression.
但是從某種程度上,我還是改變了,我越來越沮喪,像一個漩渦一樣不斷地往下沉。
And eventually someone referred me to a homeless health clinic. And I went.
后來有人介紹我去一個專為無家可歸之人開的健康診所。我去了。
I hadn't bathed in three days. I was as smelly and as depressed as anyone in line.
我有三天都沒有洗澡了,我和其他那些排隊的人一樣沮喪,身上的味道也很難聞。
I just wasn't drunk or high. And when several of the homeless men realized that,
我只是沒有喝醉或者興奮。當一些無家可歸的人意識到,
including a former university professor,
包括一個以前在大學任教的教授,
they said, "You aren't homeless. Why are you really here?"
他們說:“你不是無家可歸,你真正在這里的原因是什么?”
Other homeless people didn't see me as homeless, but I did.
其他的無家可歸的人不把我當作是無家可歸的人看待。但是我自己是這么認為的。
Then the professor listened to my story and he said, "You have a job. You have hope.
后來,教授聽了我的故事后他說,“你有工作,有希望。
The real homeless don't have hope."
真正無家可歸的人并沒有希望可言?!?/div>
A reaction to the medication the clinic gave me for my depression left me suicidal.
診所針對我沮喪開的藥物的副作用讓我有點自殺的傾向。
And I remember thinking, "If I killed myself, no one would notice."
我還記得當時想,“如果我自殺了,可能沒人會發現的。”