At first, living in the van was great. I showered in campgrounds.
一開始,住在車里是很不錯的。我在露天洗澡。
I ate out regularly. And I had time to relax and to grieve.
正常的去外面吃東西。而且有時間去抒發情感。
But then the anger and the depression about my father's death set in.
但是后來,因我父親去世而帶來的悲憤和痛沮開始加劇。
My freelance job ended. And I had to get a full-time job to pay the bills.
我自由作家的工作結束了。我就需要去找一件全職工作來支付我的賬單。
What had been a really mild spring turned into a miserably hot summer.
從一個非常溫和的春天變到一個極其炎熱的夏天會怎樣呢。
And it became impossible to park anywhere
不管車停在哪都是難以忍受的,
without being very obvious that I had a cat and a dog with me, and it was really hot.
不用說也很明顯,我帶著一只貓和一只狗,而且非常的熱。
The cat came and went through an open window in the van.
貓從車窗來回的跑。
The doggy went into doggy day care. And I sweated.
狗跑到了狗狗護理中心。我則大汗淋漓。
Whenever I could, I used employee showers in office buildings and truck stops.
不管什么時候,只要可以,我就會去用在辦公大樓和卡車車站里員工用的淋浴。
Or I washed up in public rest rooms.
或者在公共衛生間里洗洗。
Nighttime temperatures in the van rarely dropped below 80 degrees Fahrenheit, making it difficult or impossible to sleep.
在夜里車里的溫度很少會降到華氏80度以下,這使我幾乎無法入睡。
Food rotted in the heat. Ice in my ice chest melted within hours, and it was pretty miserable.
食物在高溫下腐壞。冷藏柜里的冰幾個小時就化完了,非常苦悶的時期。
I couldn't afford to find an apartment, or couldn't afford an apartment that would allow me to have the Rottweiler and the cat.
我沒錢找公寓,或者找不到讓我可以養狗和貓的地方。
And I refused to give them up, so I stayed in the van.
我不想把它們拋棄。所以我繼續待在旅行車里。
And when the heat made me too sick to walk the 50 feet to the public restroom outside my van at night,
但炎熱的天氣使我飽受折磨,以至于在夜里走50英尺到車外面的公共衛生間都懶的動。
I used a bucket and a trash bag as a toilet.
我用桶和垃圾袋當廁所。