Dialogue 1
Mark: Sorry I'm late. I missed the subway at the platform. It was just pulling away. So, I had to wait another five minutes for the next one. Then, when I got into this building, the elevator stopped at almost every floor on the way up here.
馬克:不好意思我遲到了。站臺上的地鐵剛開走了,我錯過了,所以還得再等五分鐘才有下一班。然后,我進這棟樓時,電梯幾乎每一層樓都停。
Jingjing: It's actually fortunate. I needed an extra few minutes to finish up some work. Actually, would you mind waiting another five minutes or so?
京晶:這其實是幸運的。我還需要幾分鐘來完成一些工作。你介意再等五分鐘左右嗎?
Mark: That's fine. It'll give me a chance to catch my breath.
馬克:可以沒關系。這也讓我有機會喘口氣。
Jingjing: Great. Say, what's that on your shoulder?
京晶:太好了,那個,你肩上的是什么?
Mark: What? Eww! A bird must have dropped that on me as I was walking. It's dried already. But I'll have to excuse myself for a few minutes and change shirts.
馬克:什么?天哪!肯定是在我走路的時候有只鳥拉在我身上了。它都干了,不好意思我需要幾分鐘去換襯衫。
Jingjing: You have an extra shirt with you? That's fortunate too.
京晶:你還隨身帶著額外的襯衫?那也是夠幸運的。
Mark: Yeah, I guess so. I'll be right back.
馬克:嗯,我想是的吧。馬上回來。
Jingjing: All ready to go now?
京晶:準備好走了嗎?
Mark: Yeah. Did you finish your work?
馬克:好了。你完成了工作了?
Jingjing: Just now. Let's go to lunch.
京晶:剛弄完。我們去吃午飯吧。
Mark: Great. I'm super hungry.
馬克:太好了,我超級餓。
Jingjing: Me too. Have you watched any of the World Cup?
京晶:我也是。你看世界杯了嗎?
Mark: Yeah, I went with a friend to an outdoor barbecue place to watch the Russia-Spain game. I bet on Spain and ended up having to pay for the food and beer because Spain lost on penalties. And then my friend's friend showed up and I had to buy another round of beers and more food.
馬克:看啦,我和一位朋友一起去戶外燒烤場看俄羅斯對西班牙的比賽了。我賭西班牙贏,結果不得不付了食品和啤酒的錢,因為西班牙在點球的時候輸了。然后我的朋友的朋友來了,我還得再買一輪啤酒和更多吃的。
Jingjing: Haha. And the friendly bet you and I made last week isn't looking too good for you.
京晶:哈哈。你和我上周打的“友好賭”看上去對你也不太有利啊。
Mark: Oh, that too! Well, I don't mind that so much.
馬克:哦,那個也是!算了,我也不那么介意了。
Jingjing: Well, it seems you're having a run of bad luck.
京晶:嗯,看來你正經歷一連串的厄運啊。
Mark: Let's hope it'll turn around.
馬克:讓我們希望會有好轉吧。
New words : 習語短語
fortunate 幸運
when a good thing has happened (a person is lucky, a person or an event is fortunate)
penalty 點球
(in sports) when a player has done something against the rules, the other team gets an extra chance
round of 一輪
a few of the same item (a round of drinks, a round of coffees)
a run of bad luck 一連串的厄運
several bad things that have happened in a few days (luck will) turn around
改運
change, improve (not because of what the person did)
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Mark, what's your philosophy about luck?
京晶:馬克,你對運氣這種事的理念是什么?
Mark: I usually have good luck.
馬克:我通常運氣都很好。
Jingjing: Just not today, right?
京晶:只是不是今天,對嗎?
Mark: I don't want to say too much about my own luck. That might jinx it.
馬克:我不想說太多自己的運氣。這可能會讓倒霉。
Jingjing: Anyway, you know what they say: misfortune comes in threes.
京晶:不管怎樣,人常說:(禍不單行)屋漏偏逢連夜雨。
Mark: Tell me more about luck, as you see it.
馬克:多跟我說說你是怎么看待運氣這事的。
Jingjing: Well, I think a lot of it has to do with attitude.
京晶:好吧,我認為運氣主要與你的態度有關。
Mark: You mean if you have a positive attitude, good things will happen in your life.
馬克:你的意思是,如果你有積極的態度,生活中就會有好事發生。
Jingjing: It's like finding a four-leaf clover.
京晶:就像找到了四葉草一樣。
Mark: Huh? Isn't that more about visual-spatial intelligence?
馬克:啊?難道不是跟善于記住顏色跟圖形的能力更有關系嗎?
Jingjing: It might be. But even someone with that kind of gift has to keep their eyes open and expect to find something good.
京晶:有可能吧。但即使有那種天分的人也必須睜大眼睛才能找到好東西。
Mark: That sounds like a good mindset. Thanks, Jingjing!
馬克:這聽起來像一個好的心態。謝謝京晶
Jingjing: Hey, I'm happy to help!
京晶:嘿嘿,樂意效勞。
New words : 習語短語
philosophy 理念
a person's ideas and beliefs
jinx 讓事情變壞
make something bad (by chance)
misfortune 厄運
bad luck (a person is unfortunate, an event can be called misfortune or an unfortunate event)
visual-spatial intelligence 空間抽象思維能力 (善于記住顏色跟圖形的能力)
the ability to see patterns and remember shapes and colors
mindset 心態,觀念模式
attitude and beliefs
Troubles never come singly. 禍不單行