And then, in 2006, I met that guy. His name is Ze Frank.
然后,在2006年,我遇見了這個家伙。他叫澤·弗蘭克。
I didn't actually meet him, just on the Internet.
其實我們沒有真正見面,只是在網上。
Ze Frank was running, at the time, a show called "The Show with Ze Frank," and I discovered the show,
當時他在做一個名叫“澤·弗蘭克秀”的節目,我發現了這個節目,
and that was my way back into being a community learner again. Here's Ze talking about Las Vegas:
從此我便回歸了學習社團。下面是澤·弗蘭克在介紹拉斯維加斯:
Las Vegas was built in the middle of a huge, hot desert.
拉斯維加斯建于一片廣闊炎熱的沙漠中心。
Almost everything here was brought from somewhere else -- the sort of rocks, the trees, the waterfalls.
這里的一切幾乎都是從別處運來的--像這些巖石,樹木,瀑布。
These fish are almost as out of place as my pig that flew.
這些魚出現在這兒,就像豬會飛一樣奇怪。
Contrasted to the scorching desert that surrounds this place, so are these people.
這一切與周圍酷熱的沙漠形成了鮮明的對比,這里的人也一樣。
Things from all over the world have been rebuilt here, away from their histories,
世界各地的景觀在這里重建,失去了歷史的沉淀,
and away from the people that experience them differently.
人們對它們的感受變得單一。
Sometimes improvements were made -- even the Sphinx got a nose job.
有時景觀還會被改進--比如斯芬克斯(獅身人面像)竟然隆鼻了。
Here, there's no reason to feel like you're missing anything.
這里應有盡有,你不會感覺失落。
This New York means the same to me as it does to everyone else.
這里的紐約在你我眼里都是一樣的。
Everything is out of context, and that means context allows for everything: Self Parking, Events Center, Shark Reef.
一切都脫離了原有的環境,意味著這里的環境可以包容一切:自助停車,活動中心,鯊魚礁。
This fabrication of place could be one of the world's greatest achievements, because no one belongs here; everyone does.
拉斯維加斯的建造,也許是世界上最偉大的成就之一,因為無人屬于這里,而人人都屬于這里。
As I walked around this morning, I noticed most of the buildings were huge mirrors reflecting the sun back into the desert.
今早我四處閑逛的時候,我注意到大多數建筑物就像巨大的鏡子一樣將陽光反射到沙漠里。
But unlike most mirrors, which present you with an outside view of yourself embedded in a place, these mirrors come back empty.
但它們又與鏡子不同,因為鏡子會反映出你和你周圍的景象,而這些建筑反映的只是一片虛無。
Makes me nostalgic for the days when you could see the pixels in online video.
讓我回想起那些舊時光,當時的在線視頻居然還能看出像素點。