And then, when I was in tenth grade, I went to this school, Indian Springs School, a small boarding school,
后來,在我十年級的時候,我轉學了,我轉到了一家名叫“印第安泉”的小型寄宿學校,
outside of Birmingham, Alabama. And all at once I became a learner.
位于阿拉巴馬州伯明翰市郊區。一夜之間我就成了個好學的人。
And I became a learner, because I found myself in a community of learners.
之所以有這種變化,是因為我加入了一個學習社團。
I found myself surrounded by people who celebrated intellectualism and engagement,
我周圍的人全都信奉理智主義,喜歡與人交流,
and who thought that my ironic oh-so-cool disengagement wasn't clever, or funny,
他們覺得我那種自以為很酷的逃避學習的行為既不聰明,也很無聊,
but, like, it was a simple and unspectacular response to very complicated and compelling problems.
僅僅只是一種在面對復雜而又無法逃避的問題時所采取的簡單而不成熟的應對方式。
And so I started to learn, because learning was cool.
于是我也開始學習,因為學習這事兒變酷了。
I learned that some infinite sets are bigger than other infinite sets,
我明白了無限集合也有大小之分,
and I learned that iambic pentameter is and why it sounds so good to human ears.
我明白了什么是抑揚格五音步詩,還有它為什么聽起來那么悅耳。
I learned that the Civil War was a nationalizing conflict,
我明白了南北戰爭實際上是民族沖突,
I learned some physics, I learned that correlation shouldn't be confused with causation
我還學了點物理,明白了相關不蘊含因果,
all of these things, by the way, enriched my life on a literally daily basis.
所有這些知識,讓我的生活日漸豐富多彩。
And it's true that I don't use most of them for my "job," but that's not what it's about for me.
而這些知識中的大部分跟我的工作沒有任何關系,其實我想說的并不是我自己。
It's about cartography. What is the process of cartography?
而是如何繪制地圖。地圖是怎么繪制出來的呢?
It's, you know, sailing upon some land, and thinking, "I think I'll draw that bit of land,"
大體上,你航行到某一塊陸地上,想著“我要把這塊陸地畫下來,”
and then wondering, "Maybe there's some more land to draw."
然后你就會想,“也許還有其他陸地可以畫?!?/div>
And that's when learning really began for me.
我的學習就是從那時才真正開始的。
It's true that I had teachers that didn't give up on me, and I was very fortunate to have those teachers,
我的確遇到了沒有放棄我的老師,能遇到他們是我的幸運,
because I often gave them cause to think there was no reason to invest in me.
因為我常常會讓老師們覺得在我身上浪費時間很不值。
But a lot of the learning that I did in high school wasn't about what happened inside the classroom,
然而我高中時期學習的大部分過程,并沒有發生在課堂上,
it was about what happened outside of the classroom.
而是在放學后。

For instance, I can tell you that "There's a certain Slant of light, Winter Afternoons
舉個例子,我能背誦“冬日午后的陽光,以特定角度穿堂,
That oppresses, like the Heft Of Cathedral Tunes..."
那沉重的壓迫啊,似教堂圣歌在胸膛...”
not because I memorized Emily Dickinson in school when I was in high school,
并不是因為我在高中課堂上背熟了埃米莉·迪更生的詩,
but because there was a girl when I was in high school, and her name was Amanda,
而是因為我高中班上有個女孩,名叫阿曼達,
and I had a crush on her, and she liked Emily Dickinson poetry.
我很喜歡她,而她喜歡埃米莉·迪更生的詩。
The reason I can tell you what opportunity cost is,
而我知道什么是“機會成本”,
is because one day when I was playing Super Mario Kart on my couch, my friend Emmet walked in,
是因為有一天我躺在沙發上玩“超級瑪麗賽車”,我的朋友艾米特走進來說,
and he said, "How long have you been playing Super Mario Kart?"
“你在這玩‘超級瑪麗賽車’多久了?”
And I said, "I don't know, like, six hours?"
我說,“記不得了,也許6個小時?”
and he said, "Do you realize that if you'd worked at Baskin-Robbins those six hours,
他說,“你知道嗎,你要是在Baskin-Robbins冰激凌店打工6小時的話,
you could have made 30 dollars, so in some ways, you just paid thirty dollars to play Super Mario Kart."
你已經掙了30美元了,也就是說,你花了30美元來玩‘超級瑪麗賽車’?!?/div>
And I was, like, "I'll take that deal."
而我說,“很便宜啊?!?/p>
來源:可可英語 http://www.ccdyzl.cn/Article/201806/557187.shtml