I believe that what we map changes the life we lead.
我相信我們為自己繪制的地圖能改變我們的人生。
And I don't mean that in some, like, secret-y Oprah's Angels network, like, you-can-think-your-way-out-of-cancer sense.
我說的并不是類似神秘的“奧普拉天使網絡”計劃,或者“人定勝天”之類的心靈雞湯。
But I do believe that while maps don't show you where you will go in your life, they show you where you might go.
但我確信一點,盡管地圖不能預測你的人生將走向何處,但它至少能顯示出一些可能性。
You very rarely go to a place that isn't on your personal map.
因為你不太可能去一個你個人地圖上都沒有的地方。
So I was a really terrible student when I was a kid.
我小時候是一個非常糟糕的學生。
My GPA was consistently in the low 2s.
我的平均績點一直只有2分出頭。
And I think the reason that I was such a terrible student is that
而我認為原因在于,
I felt like education was just a series of hurdles that had been erected before me,
當時我覺得學校教育就像擋在我面前的一個個障礙物,
and I had to jump over in order to achieve adulthood.
我需要一個接一個地跨越它們才能成年。
And I didn't really want to jump over these hurdles, because they seemed completely arbitrary,
而我真是不愿意去跨越這些障礙,因為在我看來教育常常是武斷的,
so I often wouldn't, and then people would threaten me, you know,
所以我經常放棄,然后就會有各種人出來威脅我,
they'd threaten me with this "going on permanent record," or "You'll never get a good job."
他們對我甩狠話,“你的成績會一直記在你的檔案里,”或者是“你永遠找不到一份好工作。”
I didn't want a good job! As far as I could tell at eleven or twelve years old, like,
我壓根就不想找一份好工作好嗎!我在十一、二歲的時候就明白,
people with good jobs woke up very early in the morning,
那些有好工作的人起得比鳥還早,
and the men who had good jobs, one of the first things they did was tie a strangulation item of clothing around their necks.
而他們每天早上做的第一件事就是把一根布條緊緊纏在自己脖子上。
They literally put nooses on themselves, and then they went off to their jobs, whatever they were.
簡直就是給自己套絞索,然后他們出發去上班,鬼知道那工作是什么。
That's not a recipe for a happy life.
這不是幸福生活該有的樣子。
These people -- in my, symbol-obsessed, twelve year-old imagination
這些人--在我這個癡迷符號的、十二歲小孩的想象中,
these people who are strangling themselves as one of the first things they do each morning, they can't possibly be happy.
這些每天早上做的第一件事就是給自己套上絞索的人,他們怎么可能開心呢。
Why would I want to jump over all of these hurdles and have that be the end? That's a terrible end!
我怎么會愿意跨過重重障礙,最后落得跟他們一樣的下場呢?這下場太悲哀了!