Now look, I'm a technology fan, but I have to admit to you all I'm a little old.
我是一個技術發燒友,但我得承認我年紀是大了點。
So I was a little slow, and I did not trust technology, and when they first came out with those new contraptions,
所以,我會有點跟不上形勢,我也不相信技術,尤其是我第一次看到的新玩意兒,
these tellers that you put in a card and they give you money,
就是這些你將銀行卡塞進去就能給你吐出錢來的自動取款機。
I was like, "There's no way that machine is going to count that money right. I am never using that, right?"
我想,這些機器沒法數準這些錢吧!我從沒用過取款機。對吧?
So technology has changed. Things have changed. Yet not in education. Why?
其實技術已經變了很多。世上的事情也在變。可就是教育從來沒變過。為什么?
Why is it that when we had rotary phones, when we were having folks being crippled by polio,
為何在我們還使用旋轉式撥號電話機時,當我們還有人因脊髓灰質炎而至殘跛行時,
that we were teaching the same way then that we're doing right now?
我們所受的教育和現在的孩子所受的教育還是完全一樣的呢?
And if you come up with a plan to change things, people consider you radical.
而如果你有計劃做一些改革,人們又會說你激進。
They will say the worst things about you.
他們還會講你很多壞話。
I said one day, well, look, if the science says -- this is science, not me
我曾說過,某天,如果科學說:是科學--而不是我,
that our poorest children lose ground in the summertime -- You see where they are in June and say, okay, they're there.
使得我們最貧窮的孩子在夏天里像一盤散沙一般沒學上--六月時可能你發覺他成績還不錯的,然后你會說,沒事啊,他們成績還可以的。
You look at them in September, they've gone down. You say, whoo!
可等你在九月開學再看到他們時,他們的成績已經一落千丈了。你會說,哇!
So I heard about that in '75 when I was at the Ed School at Harvard.
所以,在1975年我聽到這樣說法,當時我還在哈佛的Ed學校。
I said, "Oh, wow, this is an important study."
我說,“哇,這是一個很重要的研究。”
Because it suggests we should do something.
因為這表明我們應該做些事情來改變這一狀況。
Every 10 years they reproduce the same study.
每10年他們都會重復這一研究。
It says exactly the same thing: Poor kids lose ground in the summertime.
說的還是同樣的事:窮學生在暑假時學業會一落千丈。
The system decides you can't run schools in the summer.
我們的教育體系決定了我們的學校暑假不上課。