Now that last mile, last foot, in a sense, is the first step of the infrastructure.
現在想想這最后一英里,最后一步,在某種意義上,是邁向基礎設施的第一步。
The second step of the infrastructure needs to take care of the range extension.
基礎設施的第二步便是解決擴大范圍的需要。
See we're bound by today's technology on batteries,
我們被現有的電池技術限制,
which is about 120 miles if you want to stay within reasonable space and weight limitations.
在適當的空間和重量限制范圍之內,汽車只能行駛大概120英里左右。
120 miles is a good enough range for a lot of people. But you never want to get stuck.
對大部分人來說,120英里已經是一個足夠的范圍。可是,沒有人愿意被現有的限制束縛。
So what we added is a second element to our network, which is a battery swap system.
因此,我們為我們的網絡添加了第二個成分,這便是一個電池交換系統。
You drive. You take your depleted battery out. A full battery comes on. And you drive on.
你駕駛。你把已耗盡的電池取出。換上一個全新的電池,你繼續你的旅程。
You don't do it as a human being. You do it as a machine.
這并不是體力勞動。這是全自動模式。
It looks like a car wash. You come into your car wash.
這跟自動洗車一樣。你把車開入自動洗車系統。
And a plate comes up, holds your battery, takes it out, puts it back in,
一個鋼板將你的電池取出,換進一個新的電池,
and within two minutes you're back on the road and you can go again.
兩分種之內,你便可以上路,繼續你的旅程。
If you had charge spots everywhere, and you had battery swap stations everywhere, how often would you do it?
如果任何地方都有充電站,任何地方都有電池替換系統,你會多久換一次電池,充一次電?
And it ends up that you'd do swapping less times than you stop at a gas station.
其實這樣下來,你換電池的頻率比你加油的頻率要低。
As a matter of fact, we added to the contract.
我們甚至把這個事實加入到我們的合同里。
We said that if you stop to swap your battery more than 50 times a year we start paying you money because it's an inconvenience.
我們規定如果你一年停車替換電池多于50次,我們會補償你,因為這樣停車換電池非常不方便。
Then we looked at the question of the affordability.
然后我們審查了消費者能否負擔的問題。
We looked at the question, what happens when the battery is disconnected from the car.
當電池與汽車分離,不再是車的一部分會怎么樣呢。

What is the cost of that battery? Everybody tells us batteries are so expensive.
電池究竟是花多少錢?別人都告訴我們電池很貴。
What we found out, when you move from molecules to electrons, something interesting happens.
我們發現,當你從分子過渡到電子,有趣的事情便由此產生了。
We can go back to the original economics of the car and look at it again.
我們再回到最原有的汽車經濟原理,重新考量。
The battery is not the gas tank, in a sense. Remember in your car you have a gas tank.
電池,在某種程度上,跟油箱不一樣。還記得你的汽車里有一個油箱。
You have the crude oil. And you have refining and delivery of that crude oil as what we call petrol or gasoline.
你有原油。把原油加工,運輸,便成了我們現有的汽油。
The battery in this sense, is the crude oil. We have a battery bay.
電池,從這個角度看,就像原油。我們有電池海灣。
It costs the same hundred dollars as the gas tank.
費用大概是幾百美元,跟油箱一樣。
But the crude oil is replaced with a battery. Just it doesn't burn.
但是原油被電池取代。電池不會燃燒。
It consumes itself step after step after step.
它只會耗損自己,一步接一步。
It has 2,000 life cycles these days. And so it's sort of a mini well.
現有電池有大概2000個壽命循環。就像一個小型的油井。
We were asked in the past when we bought an electric car to pay for the entire well, for the life of the car.
過往當我們決定買一輛電力車,我們必須付那口井的全部費用。
Nobody wants to buy a mini well when they buy a car. In a sense what we've done is we've created a new consumable.
買車的時候,沒有任何人想購入一口小型井。在某種程度上,我們創造了一個新的消費品。