I think we have to do something about a piece of the culture of medicine that has to change.
我覺得在當今的醫學文化中,有一部份文化必須要開始改變。
And I think it starts with one physician, and that's me.
而這個改變可以從一個醫生開始,那就是我。
And maybe I've been around long enough that I can afford to give away some of my false prestige to be able to do that.
或許是因為我已經行醫多年,我可以承受放棄一些虛無的名利來開始這樣的改變。
Before I actually begin the meat of my talk, let's begin with a bit of baseball. Hey, why not?
在進入主題之前,讓我們先談談棒球吧。為什么不呢?
We're near the end, we're getting close to the World Series. We all love baseball, don't we?
常規賽季就快結束,世界職業棒球大賽即將開始。我們都喜愛棒球,不是嗎?
Baseball is filled with some amazing statistics. And there's hundreds of them.
棒球的世界中充斥著成千上百種讓人咋舌的統計數據。
"Moneyball" is about to come out, and it's all about statistics and using statistics to build a great baseball team.
即將上映的電影《點球成金》,便是完全關于統計數據,以及如何在這些數據的基礎上建造一個偉大的球隊。
I'm going to focus on one stat that I hope a lot of you have heard of. It's called batting average.
我想講一個我希望大家都聽說過的數據,叫做擊球率。
So we talk about a 300, a batter who bats 300.
當我們說一名揮棒球員的擊球率為三成的時候,
That means that ballplayer batted safely, hit safely three times out of 10 at bats.
我們是指這位球員的打擊非常穩定,每十次種就會有三次安打。
That means hit the ball into the outfield, it dropped, it didn't get caught,
安打意味著球會被擊中并被打入外野,而且并不會被立刻接殺,
and whoever tried to throw it to first base didn't get there in time and the runner was safe.
球也不會在跑者成功上到一壘之前被及時的傳回。
Three times out of 10. Do you know what they call a 300 hitter in Major League Baseball?
十次中有三次安打。各位知道棒球大聯盟如何評論這些擊球率上了三成的球員嗎?
Good, really good, maybe an all-star.
很棒,非常棒,明星球員一般的棒。
Do you know what they call a 400 baseball hitter?
各位知道他們又是如何稱呼一位擊球率有著四成,
That's somebody who hit, by the way, four times safely out of every 10.
也就是每十次打擊就會打出四個安打的球員嗎。
Legendary -- as in Ted Williams legendary -- the last Major League Baseball player to hit over 400 during a regular season.
是傳奇--像泰德·威廉斯那樣的傳奇--他是棒球大聯盟里最后一個在常規賽中擁有超過四成擊球率的球員。