Now let's take this back into my world of medicine where I'm a lot more comfortable,
現在讓我們回到我的世界,醫療領域。這個領域我比較熟悉,
or perhaps a bit less comfortable after what I'm going to talk to you about.
但我接下來要說的卻讓我有些困擾。
Suppose you have appendicitis and you're referred to a surgeon who's batting 400 on appendectomies.
假設你得了闌尾炎,然后你被推薦給了一位在闌尾移除手術中有著四成“擊球率”的外科醫生。
Somehow this isn't working out, is it?
這聽起來怪怪的,對吧?
Now suppose you live in a certain part of a certain remote place
又假設你住在某一個較為偏遠的地區,
and you have a loved one who has blockages in two coronary arteries
而你所愛的人的兩條冠狀動脈都被堵塞,
and your family doctor refers that loved one to a cardiologist who's batting 200 on angioplasties.
你的家庭醫生將她推薦給了一位在血管成形手術上有著兩成“擊球率”的心臟科醫師。
But, but, you know what? She's doing a lot better this year.
但是,等等,你知道嗎?她今年的表現有著很大的提高。
She's on the comeback trail. And she's hitting a 257. Somehow this isn't working.
她的水準也在恢復。她的“擊球率”達到了兩成五。但是這樣還是不能被接受。
But I'm going to ask you a question.
而我現在想問各位一個問題。
What do you think a batting average for a cardiac surgeon or a nurse practitioner or an orthopedic surgeon,
你們認為,一位心臟外科醫生,或一位職業護理師,一位骨科外科醫生,
an OBGYN, a paramedic is supposed to be? 1,000, very good.
婦產科醫生或急救人員的“擊球率”應該是多少?十成?非常好。
Now truth of the matter is, nobody knows in all of medicine what a good surgeon or physician or paramedic is supposed to bat.
事實上,醫學界中沒有人知道一個好的外科醫生,醫師或急救人員應該有多少的“擊球率”。
What we do though is we send each one of them, including myself, out into the world with the admonition, be perfect.
我們將他們每個人,包括我自己,送上職業崗位后,便告誡他們以完美來要求自己。
Never ever, ever make a mistake, but you worry about the details, about how that's going to happen.
絕對,絕對不能作出錯誤的診斷--但我們讓他們自己考慮細節,考慮如何達到這樣的標準。