My students produced these info-graphics
我的學生們制作了這些信息圖表,
as a result of a unit that we decided to do at the end of the year responding to the oil spill.
結果是我們決定以這個匯報作為我們學年的總結報告,內容是回應漏油事件。
I asked them to take the examples that we were seeing of the info-graphics that existed in a lot of mass media,
我要求他們拿他們看過的資訊圖表當做范例,就是在媒體里展示的那些信息圖表,
and take a look at what were the interesting components of it,
仔細看看那里頭什么是有趣的,
and produce one for themselves of a different man-made disaster from American history.
然后自己設計一個以美國歷史中其他的人為災難為主題。
And they had certain criteria to do it.
我為這項作業設了一些其他的條件。
They were a little uncomfortable with it, because we'd never done this before, and they didn't know exactly how to do it.
他們覺得這個作業有些困難,因為我們從來沒有出過這樣的作業,而他們不完全知道要怎么進行。
They can talk -- they're very smooth, and they can write very, very well,
他們可以談論這議題,相當順暢,他們也能寫得非常非常得好,
but asking them to communicate ideas in a different way was a little uncomfortable for them.
但當被要求要用一種其他的方式來表達想法的時候,他們有點無所適從。
But I gave them the room to just do the thing. Go create. Go figure it out. Let's see what we can do.
但我給了他們空間去做這個作業。去創造,去自己發現該怎么做。讓我們拭目以待我們可以完成些什么。
And the student that persistently turns out the best visual product did not disappoint.
最后那些總是呈現最佳視覺效果作品的學生,這次也沒有讓人失望。
This was done in like two or three days. And this is the work of the student that consistently did it.
這個作品大概花了兩三天的時間,而這是來自一個經常很棒得完成作業的學生。
And when I sat the students down, I said, "Who's got the best one?"
然后當我要所有學生坐下來,我問他們,“誰交出了最好的作品?”
And they immediately went, "There it is." Didn't read anything. "There it is."
他們立刻指著這個作品回答,“這件”。他們并沒有細讀其中的內容就回答了“這件”。
And I said, "Well what makes it great?"
然后我說,“那么,是什么因素讓這個作品這么好?”
And they're like, "Oh, the design's good, and he's using good color. And there's some ... "
他們回答說,“喔,設計得很好,他用了很好的顏色組合,還有一些...”
And they went through all that we processed out loud.
他們分別說了想法,我們一起進行了討論
And I said, "Go read it." And they're like, "Oh, that one wasn't so awesome."
我說,“現在去讀讀內容”。接著他們說,“喔,現在看起來好像其實沒有那么好?!?/div>
And then we went to another one -- it didn't have great visuals, but it had great information
后來我們談到另外一個作業--那個作品沒有很好的視覺設計,但是有非常好的資訊內容,
and spent an hour talking about the learning process,
我們接著花了大概一個小時來討論這個學習過程,
because it wasn't about whether or not it was perfect, or whether or not it was what I could create.
因為那并不是關于哪個作品比較完美,或是我能或不能創造出這樣的東西。
It asked them to create for themselves, and it allowed them to fail, process, learn from.
這作業是要他們為自己創作。這作業也讓他們有失敗的可能,消化思考之后,從失敗中學習。
And when we do another round of this in my class this year, they will do better this time,
今年,當我們又再一次嘗試類似的作業,他們都將會比去年做的更好,
because learning has to include an amount of failure, because failure is instructional in the process.
因為學習必須包含一定程度的失敗,因為在學習的過程中,失敗具有教學意義。