I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope
我對我的靈魂說,別作聲,耐心等待但不要寄予希望,
For hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love
因為希望會變成對虛妄的希望;耐心等待但不要懷有愛戀,
For love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith
因為愛戀會變成對虛妄的愛戀;縱然猶有信心,
But the faith and the love and the hope are all in the waiting.
但是信心、愛和希望都在等待之中。
Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought:
耐心等待但不要思索,因為你還沒有準備好思索:
So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.
這樣黑暗必將變得光明,靜止也將變成舞蹈。
Whisper of running streams, and winter lightning.
潺潺的溪水在低語,冬天有雷電閃爍。
The wild thyme unseen and the wild strawberry,
野百合花和野草莓沒有被人賞識,
The laughter in the garden, echoed ecstasy
花園里那曾回想過當年狂喜的笑聲
Not lost, but requiring, pointing to the agony
如今尤未消寂,但是在要求并暗示
Of death and birth.
死亡與降生的痛苦。
You say I am repeating something I have said before. I shall say it again.
你說我是在重復我以前說過的話。我還要再說一遍。

Shall I say it again? In order to arrive there,
要我再說一遍嗎?為了要到達那兒,
To arrive where you are, to get from where you are not,
到達現在你所在的地方,離開現在你不在的地方,
You must go by a way wherein there is no ecstasy.
你必須經歷一條其中并無引人入勝之處的道路。
In order to arrive at what you do not know
為了最終理解你所不理解的,
You must go by a way which is the way of ignorance.
你必須經歷一條愚昧無知的道路。
In order to possess what you do not possess
為了占有你從未占有的東西,
You must go by the way of dispossession.
你必須經歷被剝奪的道路。
In order to arrive at what you are not
為了達到你現在所不在的名位,
You must go by the way in which you are not.
你必須經歷那條你不在其中的道路。
And what you do not know is the only thing you know
你所不了解的正是你所唯一了解的,
And what you own is what you do not own
而你所擁有的正是你所并不擁有的,
And where you are is where you are not.
而你所在的地方也正是你所不在的地方。