Ira: It’s amazing that everybody in your family works in the sciences.
厄瑪:你全家人都從事科學方面的工作,太不可思議了。
Shirley: Yeah, my parents are both in the social sciences. My father is a psychologist and my mother is an economist.
雪莉:對,我父母的崗位屬于社會科學領域。我父親是心理學家,母親是經濟學家。
Ira: And your sister Shonda?
厄瑪:你姐姐珊達呢?
Shirley: She’s an astronomer. She initially wanted to study physics, but changed her mind. Her partner is a geologist.
雪莉:她是天文學家。最初,她想攻讀物理,但又改變了主意。她的丈夫是地質學家。
Ira: Is your brother also in astronomy?
厄瑪:你哥哥也在天文領域工作嗎?
Shirley: No, he’s a biologist and his wife does chemistry research.
雪莉:不是,他是生物學家,他的妻子做化學方面的研究。
Ira: How about your other brother? What does he do?
厄瑪:你另外的一位哥哥呢?他是做什么的?
Shirley: Um, we don’t . . . I mean he’s not involved in the social sciences, life sciences, or physical sciences.
雪莉:嗯,我們并沒有......我是說他與社會科學,生命科學,或物理科學一點都不挨邊。
Ira: If I remember correctly, he was always good at math and liked computers. Is he in computer science?
厄瑪:如果我沒記錯的話,他一直很擅長數學,喜歡計算機。那他從事的是計算機科學?
Shirley: No, he’s not. All right, he’s a writer, but we have every confidence that he’ll grow out of it.
雪莉:并不是。不瞞你說,他只是一名作家,不過我們相信以后他會“棄筆從科”的。
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載