Dialogue 1
Jingjing and Mark are having lunch together.
馬克和京晶在一起吃午餐
Jingjing: Mark, I'm glad we could meet again for lunch.
京晶:馬克,很開心我們又聚在一起吃午餐了。
Mark: Me too. Are you busy these days?
馬克:一樣。最近忙嗎?
Jingjing: Not too busy to eat. But my working hours are pretty full. How about you?
京晶:再忙也有吃飯的時間。但是我的工作時間排得特別滿。你呢?
Mark: Well, there's a lot of work for me to do. But I don't have to spend every waking hour at work. I even have time for reading.
馬克:我有很多工作要做。但我不需要每時每刻都在工作。我還有閱讀的時間。
Jingjing: I saw you have a new book in your bag. What are you reading now?
京晶:我看見你包里還有一本新書。你在讀什么呢?
Mark: Oh, this? It's called the 80/20 Principle. I've only read the first two chapters.
馬克:這本嗎?這本叫做二八定律。我剛讀了開頭兩章。
Jingjing: What's the premise?
京晶:前提是什么?
Mark: You spend 80% of your time getting only 20% of your work done. With just 20% of your energy, you achieve 80% of your results.
馬克:你花了80%的時間只完成了20%的工作。只花20%的力氣,你可以達到80%的成果。
Jingjing: What kind of results is the author talking about?
京晶:作者說到的是哪種結果?
Mark: He was a business consultant and an investor. So, he's talking about 20% of a company's products driving 80% of sales, 20% of companies in any one industry controlling 80% of the market, even 20% of your stock portfolio earning 80% of your returns.
馬克:他是做商業咨詢的,也是一個投資人。所以他談到了一個公司20%的產品推動了80%的銷售。任何一個行業中,20%的企業控制著80%的市場占有,甚至你股票投資的20%為你掙回了80%的回報。
Jingjing: Hmm, I'm guessing the book is mostly about finding that valuable 20%, and prioritizing.
京晶:我猜,這本書主要是關于發掘20%的價值,然后擇優。
Mark: Yeah. I'm hoping the best advice from this book is in the 80% I haven't read yet.
馬克:我希望這本書能給出的最好的建議來自我還沒讀到的那80%.
Jingjing: Are you planning to read the book cover to cover?
京晶:你是打算逐字逐句地讀嗎?
Mark: I might not. The author points out that you needn't spend so much time reading one book. Just read the end first, then the beginning, and a few bits in the middle.
馬克:也許不會。作者指出,你不需要花太多時間讀一本書。先讀結尾,然后開頭,然后是中間一些零星的部分。
Jingjing: Yeah, that's what I often do when I read a book.
京晶:對,我經常這么讀。
Mark: Well, at least there's an index on the last few pages of this one.
馬克:至少這本書最后幾頁上還有一個索引。
New words: 習語短語
every waking hour 每時每刻
every hour in a day, or a series of days, when you are not sleeping
premise 前提,假設
the main idea, especially at the outset of writing something
stock portfolio 股票投資
all the stocks owned by one investor, not just in one company
prioritize 優先排序
treat something as more important/urgent
bits 碎片 部分
pieces, parts
Dialogue 2
the next day 第二天
Jingjing: Hey, I've been thinking about that 80/20 principle. Is it true of people also?
京晶:嘿!我一直在想這個二八定律。在人身上也適用嗎?
Mark: Yes. One out of five people in a company adds the most value to it. Two members of a ten-person team do most of the work.
馬克:當然。一個公司里五個人當中有一個是為公司創造最大價值的。十個人的團隊中有兩個人是干活兒最多的。
Jingjing: So, just 20% of the people in a company are valuable?
京晶:所以,一個公司里只有20%的人真正有價值?
Mark: No, that's putting it too crudely. The writer of the 80/20 Principle says that it's not a matter of talent. Most people just haven't found suitable work for themselves.
馬克:不是的。這樣說太直白了。二八定律的作者寫到,不是才能的問題。大多數人并沒有找到適合自己的工作。
Jingjing: Does that mean most people ought to change jobs?
京晶:這意思是說大多數人都需要換工作嗎?
Mark: Possibly. The author talks more about people getting caught up in work that they can't do effectively.
馬克:也許吧。作者更多談到了人們在不能勝任的工作中舉步維艱。
Jingjing: There's a difference between what looks valuable and what really adds value to a company. I remember reading about how Microsoft lost some of its passion.
京晶:看上去有價值和真正創造價值這二者可是有區別的。我還記得讀到微軟是如何丟失掉一些人才的。
Mark: They were such a cutting edge company when I was in college. According to what you read, what happened?
馬克:在我讀大學那會兒他們還是一個非常開創先鋒的公司,你讀到了什么?后來怎么樣了?
Jingjing: As the company got big, it became less nimble.
京晶:當一個公司變大了,就開始變得不那么靈活了。
Mark: That's a typical story.
馬克:這不是很普例嗎?
Jingjing: Worst of all, they had a policy called stack ranking. As a project got finished, the manager would make a report on the 10 team members—the two best, seven mediocre ones, and the very worst person on the team.
京晶:最糟糕的是,他們有一項政策叫做員工排名制。當一個項目完成后,經理會給十個團隊成員出一份報告,兩個最優秀的,七個表現平平的,還有一個最差的。
Mark: So, even if the manager picked the 10 most suitable people in the company for a project team, she would have to later report one of them as the worst?
馬克:所以,即使經理挑選出來了十個最適合做項目的人來組成團隊,她還是要報告表現最差的那一個?
Jingjing: Yes. Isn't that terrible? It's a good thing threw stack ranking out the window in 2012.
京晶:是的,可怕嗎?2012年他們徹底放棄了這個員工排名制真是大快人心。
Mark: Too right! Perhaps now we can expect good news from Microsoft again.
馬克:太正確了。也許現在我們又可以從微軟聽到更多好消息了。
New words: 習語短語
that's putting it (too) crudely 過于簡單地歸納
describing something in a way that ignores important details
caught up in 被困于
stuck in, occupied by
cutting edge 先鋒的 前沿的
newest, most advanced, needed by people
nimble 靈活的
able to change quickly and respond to new needs
throw (something) out the window 去除
get rid of something (especially an idea or a practice)