And then I had a mid-term in Positive Psych.
然后我參加了積極心理學的期中考試
And I don't do as well as I expected to do.
我考得沒有我期望的好
What happens to my self-esteem? What happens to my happiness?
我的自尊會發生什么變化?我的幸福會發生什么變化?
Of course it'll go down. It's natural, we all want to succeed or most people want to succeed. So it goes down
當然它會下降,這很自然,我們都想成功或者說大多數人想成功,所以
if it's below my expectations, but very quickly as the research by Daniel Gilbert shows on effective forecasting...
如果低于我的期望它就下降了,但很快,如丹尼爾·吉爾伯特有關有效預測的研究表明……
Very quickly we go back up to our base level of happiness.
很快我們又回到我們的基礎快樂水平
And then a week later I have another mid-term in say, maths 55.
接著一個星期后,我又考了,比如說55號數學課的期中考試
And I ace it. I get much higher grade than I expected.
我考得很好,比我期望的成績還要高

And what happens to my self-esteem and happiness? It goes up.
我的自尊和快樂曲線又會怎么變化?它上升了
But then very quickly it goes back down again.
但然后很快它又降下來
And then let's say I'm 12 years old and I walk down the street and I meet Rena and I ask her out. And she says no.
然后我們假設我是12歲,我在街上走,我遇到了雷娜,我約她出來玩。她拒絕了
What happens to my to my self-esteem and happiness?
我的自尊和快樂水平會發生什么變化?
It goes down. Slightly.
它下降了,輕微地
And then very quickly it goes back up again.
然后很快它又重新上升
And then lucky me. I walk down the street.
然后我很幸運,我走在街上
I think I see Rena but there is something different about her.
我以為我看到了雷娜,但她有些不同
And it turns out she has a twin sister.
原來是她的孿生妹妹