Almost all of my male classmates work in professional settings.
我的那些男同學都在職場上大顯身手,
Some of my female classmates work full-time or part-time outside the home,
女同學里有全職工作的、也有兼職工作的,
and just as many are stay-at-home mothers and volunteers like my mom.
而像我母親那樣的全職媽媽和志愿者也為數不少。
This mirrors the national trend.
不只是我身邊的圈子有這種傾向,
In comparison to their male counterparts, highly trained women are scaling back and dropping out of the workforce in high numbers.
與男性相比,具有較高職業素養的女性人數正在大幅度減少,大量女性正在退出勞動力大軍。
In turn, these diverging percentages teach institutions and mentors to invest more in men, who are statistically more likely to stay.
男女比重的分化直接導致各類機構與指導人員愿意更多地在男性身上投資,因為從統計的角度來看,他們更有可能堅持工作。
Judith Rodin, president of the Rockefeller Foundation and the first woman to serve as president of an Ivy League university,
朱迪思·羅丁,是洛克菲勒基金會總裁、常春藤盟校中的第一位女校長,
once remarked to an audience of women my age, "My generation fought so hard to give all of you choices.
她曾對與我年紀相仿的一群女聽眾說:“我們這代人曾奮力抗爭,以求給你們有選擇一切的自由。
We believe in choices. But choosing to leave the workforce was not the choice we thought so many of you would make."
我們信仰選擇自由,但沒想到你們選擇的是放棄工作。”
So what happened? My generation was raised in an era of increasing equality, a trend we thought would continue.
那么,究竟發生了什么?我們這代人成長在一個日益平等的時代,我們也相信平等是一種會一直持續下去的趨勢。
In retrospect, we were naive and idealistic.
現在回想起來,我們當時都太天真也太理想主義,
Integrating professional and personal aspirations proved far more challenging than we had imagined.
職業抱負與個人發展的結合遠比我們想象的更富有挑戰性。
During the same years that our careers demanded maximum time investment, our biology demanded that we have children.
幾乎是在同樣的人生階段,我們既被要求在工作時間上要有最大投入,生理上又要求我們生兒育女。
Our partners did not share the housework and child rearing, so we found ourselves with two full-time jobs.
丈夫們通常不分擔家務,也不幫著照看孩子,于是我們發現自己同時承擔著兩份全職工作。