It was thought to be a sign of weakness if a husband needed his wife's help to support their family,
在當時,如果丈夫不能養家而需要妻子在外工作,人們會認為這是一個男人軟弱的標志。
so my mother became a stay-at-home parent and an active volunteer.
因此,我的母親成了一位全職媽媽和一個活躍的志愿者。
The centuries-old division of labor stood.
幾個世紀以來的勞動分工就這樣延續下來了。
Even though I grew up in a traditional home, my parents had the same expectations for me, my sister, and my brother.
盡管我在一個傳統的家庭中長大,我的父母對我和弟弟妹妹有著相同的期望。
All three of us were encouraged to excel in school, do equal chores, and engage in extracurricular activities.
他們期望我們能夠成績優秀,共同分擔家務,積極參加課外活動。
We were all supposed to be athletic too.
對了,我們還應該擅長運動。
My brother and sister joined sports teams, but I was the kid who got picked last in gym.
我的弟弟妹妹在學校里都參加了運動隊,而我不是一個體育苗子。
Despite my athletic shortcomings, I was raised to believe that girls could do anything boys could do and that all career paths were open to me.
雖然體育方面的表現不出色,但父母對我的培養讓我相信:男孩能做到的,女孩也能做,并且我有選擇職業的自由。
When I arrived at college in the fall of 1987, my classmates of both genders seemed equally focused on academics.
當我在1987年秋季進入大學時,班里的男女同學在學習上投入的精力不相上下。
I don't remember thinking about my future career differently from the male students.
在記憶中,我對未來的職業設想與男同學沒有什么不同。
I also don't remember any conversations about someday balancing work and children.
我也不記得自己是否曾討論過有朝一日必須得在工作與孩子之間尋找平衡,
My friends and I assumed that we would have both.
我和朋友都認為自己會兼顧事業和家庭。
Men and women competed openly and aggressively with one another in classes, activities, and job interviews.
無論是在課堂上,還是在課外活動乃至工作面試中,男人和女人之間都在進行著公開而激烈的競爭。
Just two generations removed from my grandmother, the playing field seemed to be level.
從我的外祖母開始,經歷了兩代人的時間,擇業競爭的環境看上去似乎已經平等了。
But more than twenty years after my college graduation, the world has not evolved nearly as much as I believed it would.
不過,我大學畢業已有20多年了,今天世界的變化并不像我想象的那樣大。