And finally I learned that thou shall pick and choose.
然而最終,我學到:諸位應該有所選擇。
And this one I learned because I tried to follow everything in the Bible.
這是因為我想要去遵循圣經上所有的東西。
And I failed miserably. Because you can't. You have to pick and choose.
然后我失敗的很慘。因為你做不到。你必須有所選擇,
And anyone who follows the Bible is going to be picking and choosing.
然而任何遵循圣經的人都不是照單全收的。
The key is to pick and choose the right parts.
關鍵是:選擇正確的部分。
There's the phrase called cafeteria religion, and the fundamentalists will use it in a denigrating way,
有一個詞匯叫做"自助餐式宗教",基本教義派把這個字用于輕蔑的意思,
and they'll say, "Oh, it's just cafeteria religion. You're just picking and choosing."
他們會說:"噢,這不就是自助餐式宗教罷了。你只是選自己喜歡的去做。"
But my argument is, "What's wrong with cafeterias?" I've had some great meals at cafeterias.
但我認為:"自助餐又怎樣?" 我在自助餐廳有吃得很開心的經驗。
I've also had some meals that make me want to dry heave.
也有難吃得想吐的經驗。
So, it's about choosing the parts of the Bible about compassion, about tolerance,
所以,這是關于選擇圣經中有關惻隱之心,
about loving your neighbor, as opposed to the parts about homosexuality is a sin,
寬容、愛你的鄰人的那些部分,不選擇同性戀是一種罪
or intolerance, or violence, which are very much in the Bible as well.
或偏狹的,或暴力的這些部分,這在圣經里也相當的多。
So if we are to find any meaning in this book, then we have to really engage it, and wrestle with it.
所以我們若想在這本書中找到意義,我們必須真正投入于它,并且與它斗爭。
And I thought I'd end with just a couple more. There's me reading the Bible. That's how I hailed taxicabs.
然而結束前,我想我再說幾件事。這是我正在閱讀圣經的照片。這是我如何招呼出租車。
Seriously, and it worked. And yes, that was actually a rented sheep,
它是有效的。那其實是租來的羊,
so I had to return that in the morning, but it served well for a day.
所以我必須在早晨歸還,但是它整天都被照顧的很好。
So, anyway, thank you so much for letting me speak.
所以,不論如何,很謝謝你們讓我來演講。