The company owed 150 billion dollars.
公司欠下1500億美元債務
It owed more money than any other private company in the United States at the time.
比美國任何私人企業欠債都要多
And that night I met with the man that ran the Federal Reserve of New York,
當晚我會見了紐約聯儲的人
who was the sheriff in effect, and I said, you know,I've never really owed very much money before.
他是實際的執行者 我說 我從來沒欠過這么多錢
I said, "I've got a little mortgage on a house,but 150 billion is a little staggering."
我用一套房子做了抵押 但1500億太驚人了
And I was hoping he would say, "Well, don't worry, Warren.We'll give you a few weeks to breathe."
我希望他會說 別擔心 沃倫 我們會給你幾周喘氣的
And he,he said to me, "Prepare for any eventuality."
而他對我說 做好發生任何事情的準備吧
Earlier today, the US Treasury Department announced it had suspended Salomon Brothers from participating in the auction of new issues.
今天早些時候 美國財政部宣布暫停所羅門兄弟參與競購新的證券
It was one more jolt for a scandal-scarred Wall Street.
這對丑聞纏身的華爾街又一次嚴重的挫折
The Fed was in effect saying,"You're an evil force, and we don't want you trading our bonds."
美聯儲稱 你們是惡勢力 我們不想讓你們交易我們的債券
It was a huge turning point for Warren.
這對沃倫來說是一個重大的轉折
And he believed that,at that particular point,his reputation was on the line.
他相信當時 他的名譽正處于危險之中
Warren had 24 hours to make up his mind as to whether he was going to go forward or just bow out.
沃倫有24個小時思考 是繼續前行還是退出
And I think at that point, Salomon Brothers could have gone into bankruptcy.
我認為當時 所羅門兄弟會破產
And Warren stepped up and took responsibility.
而沃倫加入了 開始承擔責任