David is a former city councilor who fought to make Mexico City the first Latin American city to pass marriage equality—even before San Francisco.
大衛是前墨西哥市的議員,他領導了一場使墨西哥城成為第一個通過婚姻平等法案的拉丁美洲城市的運動,甚至比舊金山還早。
And this is my story too.
這也是我自己的故事。
A student in a dorm, connecting one community at a time, and keeping at it until one day we can connect the whole world.
一個宅在宿舍的學生,連接了一個社群,然后始終維護它,直到有一天我們連接了整個世界。
Change starts local.
改變源于我們的身邊。
Even global changes start small—with people like us.
甚至全球性的改變也是源自微小的事物。
In our generation, the struggle of whether we connect more, whether we achieve our greatest opportunities, comes down to this,
在我們這一代,我們的努力能否連接更多人和事,能否把握我們最大的機遇,都歸結于這一點,
your ability to build communities and create a world where every single person has a sense of purpose.
你是否有能力搭建社群并且創造一個所有人都能有使命感的世界。
Class of 2017, you are graduating into a world that needs purpose.
2017屆的校友們,你們畢業于一個無比需要使命感的世界,
And it's up to you to create it.
而怎么去創造它由你自己決定。

Now, Maybe you are asking yourself: can I really do this?
現在,你可能會自問:我真的能做到嗎?
Well, remember when I told you about that class I taught at the Boys and Girls Club?
還記得我前面提到的我在男孩兒女孩兒俱樂部教授的課程嗎?
One day after class I was talking to students about go to college, and
有一天下課后,我正和他們談論大學,
one of my top students raised his hand and said that he wasn't sure he could go college because he's undocumented.
其中一個很棒的學生舉手說,他并不確定他是否可以上大學因為他是非法移民。
He wasn't sure they'd take him.
他并不確定大學會不會批準他入學!
Last year I took him out to breakfast for his birthday.
去年,在他過生日的時候,我帶他去吃早餐。
And I wanted to get him a gift, so I asked him what he wanted and
我想送給他一個禮物,所以我問他想要什么,
he just started talking about struggles that he saw other students in this class facing and
然后他開始談論他看到的這一級學生所面臨的斗爭,
finally said "You know, I'd really just like a book on social justice."
最后他說:“你知道的,我其實就想要一本關于社會正義的書。”