About a year ago, I asked myself a question: "Knowing what I know, why am I not a vegetarian?"
大概在一年前左右,我問了我自己一個問題:“我明明知道這些資訊,為什么我不是個素食者?”
After all, I'm one of the green guys: I grew up with hippie parents in a log cabin.
畢竟我支持環保,熱愛綠概念 和嬉皮父母在小木屋里長大。
I started a site called TreeHugger — I care about this stuff.
我開了一個叫Treehugger的網站-我很關心這些東西。
I knew that eating a mere hamburger a day can increase my risk of dying by a third.
我知道光是每天吃一個漢堡,就能增加三分之一的死亡幾率。
Cruelty: I knew that the 10 billion animals we raise each year for meat are raised in factory farm conditions that we,
我知道每年我們養殖100億動物,就為了他們身上的肉,而這些動物生活的那種工廠環境,
hypocritically, wouldn't even consider for our own cats, dogs and other pets.
是我們根本無法想象自己的貓或是寵物可以居住的。
Environmentally, meat, amazingly, causes more emissions than all of transportation combined:
就環境來說,神奇的是,肉品排放的二氧化碳比所有交通工具的排放量還大
cars, trains, planes, buses, boats, all of it.
汽車、火車、飛機、公交車、船只等所有交通工具。
And beef production uses 100 times the water that most vegetables do.
制造肉所使用的水是蔬菜的一百倍
I also knew that I'm not alone. We as a society are eating twice as much meat as we did in the 50s.
我也知道我并不孤單,整個社會,現在我們所吃的肉足足比50年代多了兩倍。
So what was once the special little side treat now is the main, much more regular.
曾經我們當作特別的小食,現在卻成了我們的日常主食
So really, any of these angles should have been enough to convince me to go vegetarian.
說真的,以任何角度來說,都應該足以讓我成為素食者。
Yet, there I was — chk, chk, chk — tucking into a big old steak.
但我還是嗯,嗯,嗯,被一塊巨大的牛排包圍著。