Thus can my love excuse the slow offence
我既然是離你他往,
Of my dull bearer when from thee I speed:
又何須行色倉皇?
From where thou art why should I haste me thence?
不是回頭路,更何須馬不收韁。
Till I return, of posting is no need.
愛呵,我的坐騎的魯鈍原不是大罪,
O, what excuse will my poor beast then find,
除非是歸程,縱電疾如火也不算匆忙。
When swift extremity can seem but slow?
可憐的馬兒啊,那時才罪重當誅。
Then should I spur, though mounted on the wind;
我當快馬加鞭、電掣般騰達飛黃;

In winged speed no motion shall I know:
雖展翅凌空亦卻不覺其迅,那時節,
Then can no horse with my desire keep pace;
沒一匹馬兒可與我如熾的欲火爭強。
Therefore desire of perfect'st love being made,
呵,這集愛大成的欲望絕非一團死肉,
Shall neigh--no dull flesh--in his fiery race;
自當引頸長嘯于火焰般的飛揚。
But love, for love, thus shall excuse my jade;
然而,一報還一報,原諒我這玉驄的魯鈍吧
Since from thee going he went wilful-slow,
既然它抽身離你時有意磨磨蹭蹭,
Towards thee I'll run, and give him leave to go.
我要正面撲向你,讓它由著性兒狂奔。