How careful was I, when I took my way,
啟程之日我是多么謹慎小心,
Each trifle under truest bars to thrust,
把一切日用物件全上鎖封存,
That to my use it might unused stay
堅壁固房務使竊賊望而縮手。
From hands of falsehood, in sure wards of trust!
他日取用之時當使塵封如舊。
But thou, to whom my jewels trifles are,
然而你令我的珠寶無光,
Most worthy of comfort, now my greatest grief,
昨日使我至樂,今宵叫我斷腸。
Thou, best of dearest and mine only care,
你是我的肺和肝,我惟一的心頭肉,

Art left the prey of every vulgar thief.
而今卻無遮無攔任鼠竊狗偷。
Thee have I not lock'd up in any chest,
我鎖遍了你不在的任何地方,
Save where thou art not, though I feel thou art,
偏沒把你鎖進金箱銀箱,
Within the gentle closure of my breast,
我感到你總留連于我溫柔的胸口,
From whence at pleasure thou mayst come and part;
這地方你原可以來去自由。
And even thence thou wilt be stol'n, I fear,
怕的是,隱秘如此你仍會被偷被搶,
For truth proves thievish for a prize so dear.
對這樣的寶物,縱海誓山盟也廢紙一張。