For a minute, I felt like my existence as a person had been noticed, and I was worth saving.
有那么一會兒,我覺得我的存在被人注意到了,并且我是值得被拯救的。
The really sad thing is, in many parts of the world,
但讓人遺憾的是,在世界的很多地方,
we're raised to believe that strangers are dangerous by default,
我們受到的教育讓我們相信,陌生人都是危險的,
that we can't trust them, that they might hurt us.
我們不能相信他們,因為他們可能會傷害到我們。
But most strangers aren't dangerous.
但是大多數陌生人并不危險。
We're uneasy around them because we have no context.
我們在他們身邊會感到不安,是因為不了解他們的背景。
We don't know what their intentions are.
我們不知道他們的意圖何在。
So instead of using our perceptions and making choices, we rely on this category of "stranger."
所以我們依賴于“陌生人”這個范疇,而不是自己的覺察力和決策力。
I have a four-year-old. When I say hello to people on the street, she asks me why.
我有一個四歲的小孩。當我在路上與別人打招呼時,她問我為什么要這樣做。
She says, "Do we know them?" I say, "No, they're our neighbor."
她問:“我們認識他們嗎?”我說:“不,他們是鄰居?!?/div>
"Are they our friend?" "No, it's just good to be friendly."
她問:“他們是我們的朋友嗎?”我回答:“不,但是我們應該為人友善。”
I think twice every time I say that to her,
每當我對她這樣說的時候,我都會反復思量,
because I mean it, but as a woman, particularly,
因為我真的是這樣認為的,然而作為一名女性,
I know that not every stranger on the street has the best intentions.
我尤其知道并不是每一個陌生人都有好的企圖。
It is good to be friendly, and it's good to learn when not to be,
對別人友善是好的,而學習判斷何時不該這樣也是對的,
but none of that means we have to be afraid.
但不管哪一種,都不意味著我們要對他們心懷恐懼。
There are two huge benefits to using our senses instead of our fears.
依靠感覺而不是恐懼,可以為我們帶來兩個巨大的好處。