Dialogue 1
It is Halloween night and Mark wants to go trick-or-treating.
今天是萬圣節之夜,馬克想去玩糖果惡作劇的游戲。
Mark: Okay, mom. I'm gonna go get my Spiderman costume on and then we can go.
馬克:媽媽。我去換上我的蜘蛛俠服裝,然后我們就可以出發了。
Jingjing: Go where? We're not going anywhere. It's late! It's almost time for you to hit the hay.
京晶:去哪里?我們今天哪兒也不能去了。現在已經很晚了!這幾乎已經到了你上床睡覺的時間了。
Mark: But mom!!! Tonight is Halloween! You said we could go trick-or-treating!
馬克:但是媽媽!今晚是萬圣節!你說過我們可以去玩不給糖就搗亂的!
Jingjing: Yes, but you have a math test tomorrow. You need to get a full night's rest so you can be in tip top shape tomorrow.
京晶:是,但你明天有一個數學測驗。你需要好好休息,明天才能有最好的狀態。
Mark: But mom!!! (Mark lets out a small cry.) You said we could go! You lied to me! I've waited all year to go trick-or-treating.
馬克:但是媽媽!(馬克小聲哭了一下。)你說過我們可以去的!你騙我!我已經等了一年了。
Jingjing: But Mark. I've asked you several times to do some chores around the house if you wanted to go.
京晶:但是馬克,我說的是,如果你想要去的話,必須做幾次家務。
Mark: I did do some! I cleaned my room last week. Don't you remember?
馬克:我做了呀!我上周打掃了我的房間。你不記得了嗎?
Jingjing: That's just a drop in the bucket. I also asked you to clean your bathroom, wash the dishes, and vacuum the carpet.
京晶:這只是九牛一毛。我還讓你清理你的浴室、洗碗和吸地毯來著呢。
Mark: But mom!!! (Mark's cry worsens.)
馬克:但是媽媽!(馬克哭得更大聲了。)
Jingjing: Not this time, Mark. You're not gonna manipulate me with your tears. I've reached my boiling point.
京晶:這次沒用了,馬克。你的眼淚騙不了我了。我已經忍無可忍了。
Mark: Momma, please! I love you mommy! Pretty please?
馬克:媽媽,拜托了!媽媽我愛你!拜托讓我去吧?
Jingjing: I'm not falling for that this time. I know your game. You start crying and then expect to get your way. You have to learn how to be a grown-up.
京晶:我這次不會上當啦,我已經知道你的把戲了,用裝可憐換取你想要的。你必須學會如何成為一個大人了。
Mark: (sniff, sniff) Okay, mommy...
馬克:(抽泣,抽泣)好吧,媽媽……
Jingjing: Now be a good boy and hop into bed. Tomorrow you can wake up early and do well on your test.
京晶:現在做個乖孩子上床睡覺。明天你就可以早早起床,然后好好考試了。
Mark: Good night, momma!
馬克:晚安,媽媽!
Jingjing: Good night! Sweet dreams!
京晶:晚安!做個好夢!
New words: 習語短語
hit the hay=睡覺
tip top shape=完美的狀態
a drop in the bucket=九牛一毛,冰山一角
vacuum=用真空吸塵器清潔
carpet=地毯
manipulate=通過某些語言或行動來操縱別人的想法或感受
reach one's boiling point=到達發火的臨界點了
Pretty please.=拜托(孩子們經常為了要求什么東西而對大人說這個)。
to fall for something=掉入某人的陷阱,相信某人的謊言或詭計
grown-up=[名詞]成人
Dialogue 2
Mark and his mother are shopping for school clothes at the mall.
馬克和他媽媽在商場買學校穿的衣服。
Jingjing: Okay, Mark. We're here to buy clothes, and nothing else. I have errands to run, so let's make this a jiffy.
京晶:聽好了馬克。我們來這里是買衣服的,不買別的。我一會還有事兒,所以咱們速戰速決好吧。
Mark: Okay, but mom, if I see a toy I like, can I go look at it?
馬克:好吧,但是媽媽,如果我看到一個我喜歡的玩具,我能去看看嗎?
Jingjing: No! I still remember last time very clearly what happened. After you looked at it, you asked me to buy it for you. When I told you "no", you threw a hissy fit.
京晶:不行!我還清楚地記得上一次發生了什么事。你看了之后,就非得要我買給你。我說“不”,你就發脾氣耍賴起來了。
Mark: Well, I promise I won't ask you to buy anything for me, okay? I'll be a good boy today.
馬克:嗯,我保證我不會要求你為我買任何東西還不行嗎?今天我會做一個好孩子。
Jingjing: You better be! Come on, let's go look at those pants over there. Here try this pair on. (Jingjing looks around and cannot find Mark.) Mark? Mark! Where are you?
京晶:你最好說到做到!來,我們去看看那邊的褲子。來來,試試這條。(京晶環顧四周,找不到馬克。)馬克?馬克!你跑哪兒去了?
Mark: Mom, I'm over here. I saw some cool toys. I just wanna look at them for a second.
馬克:媽媽,我在這里。我看到一些很酷的玩具。我只是想看一眼。
Jingjing: Mark! Don't push me! What did I tell you just now?
京晶:馬克!不要逼我!我剛才是怎么跟你說的?
Mark: Mom, please, I found some cool toy cars. I just wanna check them out real quick.
馬克:媽媽,拜托,我發現了一些很酷的玩具車。我只是想快速地看一眼。
Jingjing: Seriously, I'm gonna explode if you don't get over here right now.
京晶:我說真的,如果你不立刻回來,我就要發火啦。
Mark: Okay, I'll come over there if you... if you buy it for me? Pretty please mom? It's cheap! Please?
馬克:好吧,只要你買給我我就立刻回來。拜托媽媽?它很便宜的!好不好?
Jingjing: Do I have to give you a spanking in front of all these people? I'm gonna count to five, and then you better get over here. One, two, three, four—
京晶:你非得逼我在這么多人面前打你嗎?我數到5,你最好立刻過來這里。1,2,3,4……
Mark: Okay. (sniff, sniff) (Mark starts to cry a little bit.) Geez, I'm coming. (Mark lets out a big cry now.)
馬克:好吧(抽泣,抽泣)(馬克準備開始要哭了。)哎,我來了。(馬克大哭起來。)
Jingjing: Don't you dare throw a temper tantrum and embarrass me in front of all these people. Come on, I've had it up to here with you. We're leaving.
京晶:不許你在這么多人面前發脾氣讓我難堪。好了,我受夠了。不買了,回家!
New words: 習語短語
errands=差事,需要做的雜務(比如去郵局、到圖書館還書等……)
jiffy=瞬間,一會兒
throw a hissy fit=(因為事情沒有按照自己的意愿發展就)發脾氣
explode=變得極為憤怒
spank=打屁股
throw a temper tantrum=大發脾氣
I've had it up to here.=我受夠了,我快要爆炸了,我不能再忍受下去了。