If the dull substance of my flesh were thought,
假如我這笨重的肉體如輕靈的思想,
Injurious distance should not stop my way;
那么山重水復也擋不住我振翅高翔,
For then despite of space I would be brought,
我將視天涯海角如咫尺之隔,
From limits far remote where thou dost stay.
不遠鴻途萬里,孤飛到你身旁。
No matter then although my foot did stand
此刻我的雙足所立的處所
Upon the farthest earth removed from thee;
雖與你遠隔千山又有何妨,
For nimble thought can jump both sea and land
只要一想到你棲身的地方,

As soon as think the place where he would be.
這電疾般的思想便會穿洲過洋。
But ah! thought kills me that I am not thought,
然而可嘆我并非是空靈的思緒
To leap large lengths of miles when thou art gone,
能騰躍追逮你的行蹤跨嶺飛江,
But that so much of earth and water wrought
我只是泥土和水鑄成的凡胎肉體,
I must attend time's leisure with my moan,
惟有用浩嘆侍奉蹉跎的時光。
Receiving nought by elements so slow
唉,無論土和水于我都毫無補益,
But heavy tears, badges of either's woe.
它們只標志著哀愁令我淚飛如雨。