Even though she has never seen "Game of Thrones," primarily because we are not the worst parents who ever lived.
即使她未曾看過《權利的游戲》,主要是因為我們并不是最糟的父母。
But she knows there's someone called the Mother of Dragons, and she calls herself that and she loves it.
但她知道有人叫做龍母,她也自稱龍母并怡然自得。
She's a huge comic book fan. Right now, her favorite character is Groot.
她是個大大的漫畫愛好者。現在,她最喜歡的角色是格魯特。
She loves Groot. She adores The Incredible Hulk.
她喜歡格魯特。她崇拜綠巨人浩克。
But my daughter really at heart, her thing is Star Wars. My kid is a Jedi.
但是在我女兒的內心中,星球大戰才是她的最愛。我的孩子是個絕地武士。
Although some days she's also a Sith, which is a choice that I can respect.
盡管有時她也扮成西斯,是個令我敬佩的選擇。
But here's the question that I have to ask.
但是我一直有個困惑,
Why is it that when my daughter dresses up, whether it's Groot or The Incredible Hulk,
為什么當我的女兒想要換裝打扮時,無論是格魯特還是綠巨人,
whether it's Obi-Wan Kenobi or Darth Maul, why is every character she dresses up as a boy?
無論是歐比旺·克諾比還是達斯·摩爾,為什么她飾演的都是男性角色?
And where are all the female superheroes?
女性超級英雄都去哪了?
And that is not actually the question, because there's plenty of female superheroes.
這么問并不確切,因為世界上有很多女性英雄。
My question really is, where is all the female superhero stuff?
事實上,我的問題是,所有女英雄的周邊產品都哪兒去了?
Because every day when my daughter plays when she dresses up, she's learning stuff
因為當我的女兒每天換裝扮演時,她都在學習,
through a process that, in my own line of work, as a professor of media studies, we refer to as public pedagogy.
在我自己的本職工作中,作為一個媒體分析領域的教授,我們把這個過程稱為公共教育學。
That is, it is how societies are taught ideologies.
也就是說,這關于社會如何被賦予意識形態。
It's how you learned what it meant to be a man or a woman,
它讓你懂得作為一名男性或女性的意義,
what it meant to behave yourself in public, what it meant to be a patriot and have good manners.
在公共場合自我表現的意義,成為一個忠心耿耿又彬彬有禮的人的意義。
It's all the constituent social relations that make us up as a people.
就是這些所有的社會關系組成了我們大家。