These six companies produce nine out of every 10 movies you watch,
這六家公司制作了你所接觸過的90%的電影,
nine out of every 10 television shows, nine out of every 10 songs, nine out of every 10 books.
90%的電視節目,90%的歌曲,90%的書籍。
So my question to you is, if six companies control 90 percent of American media,
所以我要問你們的是,如果六家公司控制著全美國百分之九十的媒體,
how much influence do you think they have over what you're allowed to see every day?
你們認為,在觀看什么節目的問題上,它們對你們產生了多大的影響?
Because in media studies, we spend a lot of time saying that media can't tell us what to think,
因為在媒體學的研究中,我們花費大量的時間說明媒體并不能告訴我們去想什么,
and they can't; they're terrible at that. But that's not their job.
它們確實不能,而且做得很糟糕。不過那不是它們分內的事情。
Media don't tell us what to think. Media tell us what to think about.
媒體并不告訴我們要去想什么,媒體告訴我們要去思考什么。
They control the conversation, and in controlling the conversation,
它們掌控著我們的談話內容,即使是現在,
they don't have to get you to think what they want you to think.
它們不必讓你想到它們想要讓你想的東西,
They'll just get you thinking about the things they want you to think about,
它們僅僅是讓你思考他們想要讓你思考的事情,
and more importantly, not thinking about the things they don't you to think about.
更重要的是,不去思考它們不想讓你思考的事情。
They control the conversation. How does this work in practice?
它們掌控了談話內容。這在我們的實際生活中是如何奏效的呢?
Let's just take one of those companies. We'll do an easy one.
讓我們找到這六家公司中的一家。一家簡單的。
Let's talk about the Walt Disney Company for a second.
讓我們聊聊迪士尼公司。
The reason why I always pick the Walt Disney Company is this.
我總是選擇迪士尼公司的原因是這個。
Is there a single person in this room who has never seen a Disney movie? Look around. Exactly.
在座的觀眾中有從未看過迪士尼電影的人嗎?看吧,答案顯而易見。
I picked Disney because they have what we call 100 percent penetration in our society.
我選擇迪士尼公司是因為,用我們的話說,它百分之百的滲透進了我們的社會。
Every single person has been exposed to Disney, so it's an easy one for me to use.
每一個人都曾經接觸迪士尼,所以我用它來舉例效果最好。