If you are like 98 percent of other people,
如果你象其余百分之九十八的人一樣,
you will identify the round, amoeboid shape as Bouba, and the sharp, spiky one as Kiki.
你會把這個圓圓的,變形蟲形狀的叫做Bouba,把尖尖的,刺猬狀的叫做Kiki。
Can we do a quick show of hands? Does that correspond?
是這樣的請舉手?是不是象我說的那樣?
Okay, I think 99.9 would about cover it. Why do we do that?
好,我想大概99.9%是那樣。這是為什么?
Because we instinctively find, or create, a pattern between the round shape and the round sound of Bouba,
因為我們本能地去找尋,或者創造一個模式,把圓的圖形與Bouba這個圓的聲音聯系起來。
and the spiky shape and the spiky sound of Kiki.
對尖的圖形和尖的聲音Kiki也是如此。
And many of the metaphors we use everyday are synesthetic. Silence is sweet.
我們日常生活中的暗喻多是聯覺性的:沉默是甜的(抑或沉默是金)。
Neckties are loud. Sexually attractive people are hot.
領結是花騷的。性感的人是火辣的。
Sexually unattractive people leave us cold.
而不性感的人讓我們覺得冷冰冰的。
Metaphor creates a kind of conceptual synesthesia,
暗喻構筑了一個概念聯覺的空間,
in which we understand one concept in the context of another.
我們在其中用一種概念的情境來理解另一種概念。
Third step is cognitive dissonance. This is the Stroop test.
第三步是認知失調。這是Stroop測試。
What you need to do here is identify as quickly as possible
請你盡快指出構成這些詞的字母
the color of the ink in which these words are printed. You can take the test now.
在圖片中實際的顏色。就從現在開始。
If you're like most people,
如果你和大多數人一樣,
you will experience a moment of cognitive dissonance when the name of the color is printed in a differently colored ink.
顏色的名稱和圖片中實際的顏色不符,會使你暫時地認知失調。
The test shows that we cannot ignore the literal meaning of words
這個測試表明我們無法忽視這些詞的字面意義,
even when the literal meaning gives the wrong answer.
盡管字面意義上的答案是錯誤的。
Stroop tests have been done with metaphor as well.
Stroop測試也曾被用于暗喻上,
The participants had to identify, as quickly as possible, the literally false sentences.
受試者需要盡快地辨識那些字面上錯誤的句子,其中包括暗喻。
They took longer to reject metaphors as false than they did to reject literally false sentences.
他們要花更長的時間才能把包含暗喻的句子從中挑出來。