Metaphor lives a secret life all around us.
暗喻秘密地生活在我們中間。
We utter about six metaphors a minute.
于我們的言談中,每分鐘大約會出現六個暗喻。
Metaphorical thinking is essential to how we understand ourselves and others,
暗喻思維是一把鑰匙,它可以開啟我們相互理解
how we communicate, learn, discover and invent.
溝通、學習、發現和創新的大門。
But metaphor is a way of thought before it is a way with words.
首先,暗喻是一種思維方式。
Now, to assist me in explaining this, I've enlisted the help of one of our greatest philosophers,
為了說明這一點,我請教了一位當代最偉大的哲學家,
the reigning king of the metaphorians, a man whose contributions to the field are so great that he himself has become a metaphor.
當權的暗喻皇帝,一位因其對暗喻學的巨大貢獻而自身成了一位暗喻的人物。
I am, of course, referring to none other than Elvis Presley.
當然,我指的不是別人,正是貓王埃爾維斯-普雷斯利。
Now, "All Shook Up" is a great love song.
好,《神魂顛倒》(意即整個人都被動搖了)是一首經典情歌。
It's also a great example of how whenever we deal with anything abstract
也是一個極好的暗喻范例,它詮釋了當我們面臨抽象事物時,
ideas, emotions, feelings, concepts, thoughts -- we inevitably resort to metaphor.
無論是主意、情緒、感覺、概念亦或是思想,都不得不求助于暗喻。
In "All Shook Up," a touch is not a touch, but a chill.
在《神魂顛倒》中,觸摸不再是觸摸,而是寒氣。
Lips are not lips, but volcanoes. She is not she, but a buttercup.
嘴唇不再是嘴唇,而是火山。她不再是她,而是毛茛花(一種小黃花)。
And love is not love, but being all shook up.
愛情也不再是愛情,而是變得神魂顛倒了。
In this, Elvis is following Aristotle's classic definition of metaphor
在這里,埃爾維斯采用的完全是亞里士多德對暗喻的經典定義,
as the process of giving the thing a name that belongs to something else.
亦即是把B事物的名稱賦予給A事物的過程。
This is the mathematics of metaphor. And fortunately it's very simple. X equals Y.
這就是暗喻的數學公式。幸好它很簡單。X等于Y。