This formula works wherever metaphor is present.
這個公式適用于所有的暗喻。
Elvis uses it, but so does Shakespeare in this famous line from "Romeo and Juliet:" Juliet is the sun.
埃爾維斯用到它,莎士比亞也同樣用到它,于《羅密歐與朱麗葉》中有這樣的名句:朱麗葉是太陽。
Now, here, Shakespeare gives the thing, Juliet, a name that belongs to something else, the sun.
在這里莎士比亞賦予朱麗葉一個屬于其它事物的名稱,太陽。
But whenever we give a thing a name that belongs to something else, we give it a whole network of analogies too.
但是當我們賦予A事物以B事物的名稱時,我們也賦予它一整套的類比。
We mix and match what we know about the metaphor's source, in this case the sun, with what we know about its target, Juliet.
我們把對喻體的認知,此處是太陽,與對本體的認知--朱麗葉聯系在一起,
And metaphor gives us a much more vivid understanding of Juliet than if Shakespeare had literally described what she looks like.
這樣的暗喻可使我們更生動地理解朱麗葉,強過莎士比亞忠實地描述她的相貌。
So, how do we make and understand metaphors? This might look familiar.
那我們如何運用和理解暗喻呢?大家對此并不陌生。
The first step is pattern recognition. Look at this image. What do you see?
第一步就是模式識別。請看這張圖。你看到了什么?
Three wayward Pac-Men, and three pointy brackets are actually present.
其實只有三個在外沿的吃豆人和三個尖角括號而已。
What we see, however, are two overlapping triangles.
但我們實際看到的是兩個重疊的三角形。
Metaphor is not just the detection of patterns; it is the creation of patterns.
暗喻不僅僅是模式辨識,也是模式創造。
Second step, conceptual synesthesia.
第二步,概念聯覺。
Now, synesthesia is the experience of a stimulus in once sense organ in another sense organ as well, such as colored hearing.
聯覺是指一種感官受到的刺激引起另一種感官的感受,例如色彩聽覺。
People with colored hearing actually see colors when they hear the sounds of words or letters.
有色彩聽覺的人就會在聽到詞語的聲音時將會看到色彩。
We all have synesthetic abilities. This is the Bouba/Kiki test.
我們都擁有聯覺的能力。這是Bouba/Kiki測試。
What you have to do is identify which of these shapes is called Bouba, and which is called Kiki.
請你說出哪個形狀叫Bouba,哪個叫Kiki。