Five years ago, I experienced a bit of what it must have been like to be Alice in Wonderland.
五年前,我曾有過一個有如漫游愛麗絲仙境的經歷。
Penn State asked me, a communications teacher, to teach a communications class for engineering students.
賓夕法尼亞州立大學讓我這個教溝通學的老師給工程系的學生上溝通學課。
And I was scared. Really scared.
我被嚇到了。我真的被嚇壞了。
Scared of these students with their big brains and their big books and their big, unfamiliar words.
這些學生發達的大腦,還有他們所讀的巨著及他們使用的又長又生僻的詞語通通都嚇到我了。
But as these conversations unfolded,
不過隨著對話的展開,
I experienced what Alice must have when she went down that rabbit hole and saw that door to a whole new world.
我的經歷就如愛麗絲一樣,順著那個兔子洞下去,看到了那扇通往一個全新世界的大門。
That's just how I felt as I had those conversations with the students.
這就是我和那些學生們對話時的感受。
I was amazed at the ideas that they had, and I wanted others to experience this wonderland as well.
我對他們的想法感到驚奇,而且我希望其他人也能體驗這種在仙境中的感覺。
And I believe the key to opening that door is great communication.
我相信打開那扇門的關鍵就是要有很好的交流與溝通。
We desperately need great communication from our scientists and engineers in order to change the world.
為了改變世界,我們迫切需要從我們的科學家和工程師那里得到良好的溝通。
Our scientists and engineers are the ones that are tackling our grandest challenges,
我們的科學家和工程師們解決的都是我們所面臨的最大的難題,
from energy to environment to health care, among others, and if we don't know about it and understand it,
從能源到環境再到衛生保健,等等。如果我們不明白也不理解的話,
then the work isn't done, and I believe it's our responsibility as non-scientists to have these interactions.
他們的工作對我們就沒有什么意義了,并且我相信,我們作為非科學家們有責任與他們進行互動交流。
But these great conversations can't occur if our scientists and engineers don't invite us in to see their wonderland.
可是如果我們的科學家和工程師們不把我們領進門去看看他們的仙境的話,我們之間也就不可能有很好的交流。
So scientists and engineers, please, talk nerdy to us.
所以科學家和工程師們,請跟我們說說高科技是什么吧。