Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hey, Mark. How was your weekend?
京晶:嘿,馬克。你周末過得怎么樣?
Mark: Well, it went by in the blink of an eye. I worked the whole weekend.
馬克:一眨眼的工夫就過了。我整個周末都在工作。
Jingjing: You worked? I'm sorry to hear that. No wonder you look like you're about to break down. Is everything alright?
京晶:你工作來著?好可憐。難怪你看起來就快要崩潰了。你還好嗎?
Mark: I think so. I promised my boss I'd get this engineering project done on time. We've been working on it for three weeks and now we're coming to the crunch.
馬克:還好。我答應老板會按時完成這個工程項目。我們努力了三個星期了,現在到了緊要關頭。
Jingjing: Oh, I see. It sounds like you bit off more than you can chew.
京晶:哦,我明白了。這聽起來像你們承擔了很大壓力呀。
Mark: Yeah, I think you're right. But I have to get it done. I don't want my boss to think I can't cut the mustard.
馬克:是的,沒錯。但我必須完成它。我不希望老板認為我不能勝任。
Jingjing: Mark... Why didn't you ask me for help? I've told you a bunch of times that I know engineering in and out. I would've been happy to help you.
京晶:馬克……你為什么不找我幫忙呢?我已經告訴過你了,我對工程的事了若指掌,而且我很樂意幫助你。
Mark: That's alright. I figured you were probably chilling with your friends this weekend. I didn't want to bother you.
馬克:沒事的。我想著周末你可能要和朋友聚聚,放松放松。我不想打擾你。
Jingjing: Well, all I can tell you is next time you should start working on your project earlier. Don't wait until the last minute to start doing something. Just remember: a stitch in time saves nine.
京晶:嗯,我可以告訴你的是,下一次你應該早點開始你的項目。不要等到最后一分鐘才開始。記住:要防微杜漸。
Mark: Yeah, I procrastinated too much this time. That's what I get for being lazy.
馬克:是啊,我這次拖延了太長時間了。這就是我懶惰的代價。
Jingjing: Mark, listen. I think you should take some time off and spend some time relaxing. It'll really help you out. Why don't you take half the day off and go relax?
京晶:聽著,馬克,我想你應該休息一段時間,花一些時間放松。這真的很有幫助。你為什么不放半天假去放松放松呢?
Mark: I'll try it. But if I lose my job, I'm gonna be angry!
馬克:我會試試的。但是,如果我失去了我的工作,我會生氣的!
Jingjing: It's better than losing your sanity!
京晶:這總比你發瘋好!
New words: 習語短語
in the blink of an eye=一眨眼的功夫,用來表達一件事發生得很快
break down=崩潰,不運作
come to the crunch=到了緊要關頭
bite off more than you can chew=承擔不能完成的挑戰,自不量力
can't cut the mustard=不能達到標準,或者不能勝任
know (something) in and out=對某事了若指掌
chill=放松,玩耍
A stitch in time saves nine.=防微杜漸,在早期處理處理一些事情以防止它惡化。
procrastinate=拖延
what I get=我應得的
lose sanity=失去理智,發瘋
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Hey, Mark. Wow, you look chock-full of energy! What's new?
京晶:嘿,馬克。哇,你看起來充滿了能量!有什么新鮮事兒嗎?
Mark: Not much. I took your advice and have been relaxing a lot more lately. I finally finished that project I had been working on.
馬克:也沒什么。就是我聽了你的建議,最近放松了很多。我終于完成了最近一直在做的那個項目。
Jingjing: Looks like you've been getting some good sleep lately.
京晶:看起來你最近睡眠很好啊。
Mark: Yeah, I'm not burning the midnight oil anymore like I used to be. I've been sleeping like a baby at night.
馬克:是啊,我不再像以前那樣挑燈夜戰了。我最近一直睡得像個嬰兒一樣香甜。
Jingjing: Cool, so what have you been doing to take the edge off?
京晶:酷,那你最近做了什么來緩解壓力嗎?
Mark: I've been learning how to break dance.
馬克:我一直在學習霹靂舞。
Jingjing: Are you serious? I never thought you'd find that interesting. Are you good at it?
京晶:真的?我從來沒有想過你會喜歡這個。你很擅長嗎?
Mark: Well, I don't mean to boast, but yeah I'm one of the best ones in the class.
馬克:嗯,我不是想自夸,但是事實就是,我是班上跳得最好的學生之一。
Jingjing: You don't mean to boast? Um, you sounded really conceited just now, you know?
京晶:你不是想自夸?嗯,你聽起來相當自以為是啊。
Mark: Haha, yeah well I'm serious. I'm really good. You should come to the club with me tonight. Come on, I'll pay for your ticket.
馬克:哈哈,但我是說真的。我跳得真的很不錯。你今晚應該和我去酒吧。來吧,我請客。
Jingjing: Are you trying to bribe me? Or do you just want to show off your new skills?
京晶:你是不是想賄賂我?還是你只是想炫耀你的新技能?
Mark: Haha, okay. I can tell you're not interested. I'll talk to you later.
馬克:哈哈,好吧。看來你不感興趣。我們回頭再聊吧。
Jingjing: Bye!
京晶:再見!
New words: 習語短語
chock-full of=充滿
burn the midnight oil=開夜車,熬夜(工作)
sleep like a baby=像嬰兒一樣熟睡,睡覺很好
take the edge off=緩解壓力;減弱
break dance=霹靂舞
boast=吹牛
conceited=自以為是的
bribe=行賄
show off=炫耀,向別人展示你的技藝有多好