I heard all of these things, but I didn't listen.
這些事都經過了我的耳朵,可惜我沒有去仔細傾聽。
I looked but didn't see. I read, didn't understand.
我看了,但是沒看見。我讀了,可是沒理解。
I paid attention only when you began to vote and shout,
只有當你們去投票,去喊叫,只有當事情本身開始
and when your voting and shouting, when the substance of it, began to threaten me.
威脅到我自身的時候,我才會去注意到。
I listened only when you moved toward shattering continental unions and electing vulgar demagogues.
只有當你們前往各處大陸工會,當你們成為選舉煽動者的時候,我才會真正聽見。
Only then did your pain become of interest to me.
只有到那時候,你們的痛苦才能被我注意。
I know that feeling hurt is often prologue to dealing hurt.
我知道感到難受經常是解決問題序幕。
I wonder now if you would be less eager to deal it
我在想,若現在我和你們身處同一戰線,
if I had stood with you when you merely felt it.
而你僅僅是感覺到了,你們會因此就不想去處理它嗎?
I ask myself why I didn't stand with you then.
我質問自己,為什么沒有和你站在一起。
One reason is that I became entranced by the gurus of change,
一個原因是我著迷于改變,
became a worshiper of the religion of the new for novelty's sake,
為了創新成為新新事物理念,
and of globalization and open borders and kaleidoscopic diversity.
成為全球化和開放性,成為多樣性的擁護者。
Once change became my totalizing faith, I could be blind.
一旦“改變”成為了我的信仰,我就開始變得盲目。